New bib shorts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Since I had to return my Xmas Decathlon bargain shorts which turned out to be poorly made, I have now reserved a pair of Sporful Giro Bib shorts and a pair of Nalini Chiolite bib shorts from Halfords, already on sale and a further 20% off makes them a damm good price. Anyone got these and what the quality is like ? Was about to plump for another pair of Lusso but size down as my current pair which are large are now a wee bit loose.

screenman

Legendary Member
Total rubbish but they are cheap. Just kidding, but I honestly do not know why you guys do not go direct to people like Impsort instead of a car accessory shop. But of course the choice is yours, I seldom buy on price as quality is of more concern for me.

Got some Sportful no-rain Fiandre bibs which are excellent,no experience of Nalini kit though.
Speaking of bib-shorts can give a big thumbs up for the Howies 3/4's I now have;been excellent on two rides so far.

OP
OP
MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Total rubbish but they are cheap. Just kidding, but I honestly do not know why you guys do not go direct to people like Impsort instead of a car accessory shop. But of course the choice is yours, I seldom buy on price as quality is of more concern for me.
Well I can buy these online at the usual places but this time halfords is cheaper , I can also go pick up and if they don't fit easily taken back . sizing is the bigger issue hence I'm large or extra large and in fact may even get away with medium in some brands!

OP
OP
MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Sportful shorts seem quite a tight fit even though XL, will try them on again when I get back from my weekend away. Picked up the Nalini shorts on route to my holiday destination, they actually fit quite well, however....... the wifes reckons the meat and two veg are on show??!! Will compare again when i get home with my other shorts, but they are a wee tad see through :smile:

screenman

Legendary Member
That doesn't explain why buying Impsport kit should be intrinsically better than buying heavily discounted Sportful kit from Halfords.

Of course if saving money is your only reason for buying then I will agree with you.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Of course if saving money is your only reason for buying then I will agree with you.

If @MrGrumpy has made past purchases purely on the basis of price, that might explain why he ended up with a duff pair of shorts from Decathlon. Fortunately, in this case, he's got high quality kit and a good price. It's your downer on Halfords I really don't get - dismissing it as a "car accessory shop" overlooks the fact that it sells some very good bikes and kit these days. You might not get the level of advice and service that you'd get from your LBS, but that's generally why you pay a bit more at your LBS.

And I'm still not sure on what basis you're recommending Impsport as an alternative. Is their stuff good quality? If you say it is, I'll take your word for it, but I can't get beyond associating them with ugly novelty designs. And not forgetting that GB national team jersey from the late 90s with the lime green splash...

Tbh, if you want to recommend good value, British-made cycling gear, several other brands spring to mind ahead of Impsport - Lusso, Howies (as mentioned by @Elybazza61) or Endura, for example. As for alternative places to buy from, probikekit.co.uk is a good one in my experience because they often have high quality shorts and jerseys from top brands (such as Sportful) at very good prices - perfect, as long as you don't mind wearing last season's pro team kit.

OP
OP
MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Of the two pairs of sportful bib shorts I bought one of them which I've worn twice has the stitching coming away at the pad so refunded! Shall see how the other pair fair might be looking elsewhere . Can see me buying another pair of lusso or exteondo if I can find those on sale again.

Top Bottom