New bike advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Budgie

Hi all, just joined and in need of a litle advice......
how long before a new bike will show signs of rust usually?
Bought a new bike on the cycle to work scheme and collected two weeks ago, it is now showing signs of rust on the chain, gear cogs, prop stand and basket bracket on the handlebar (not much, but it is there).
It only cost £280 which I know is not a lot in cycling terms, but I still think two weeks is a bit early to be going rusty.
Shop just said "all bikes rust, steel parts rust". they then covered al the rust spots in grease and adjuste dthe gears so that they now make a funny ticking noise everytime I pedal...
Really ticked off, as I love the bike (upgrade from 35 year old Raleigh Twenty) and am loving cycling to work.
All opinions welcome.
Ta
Budgie

Peteaud

Veteran
Well any part that is steel (uncoated or cheaply coated) will show signs of rust within a few weeks. But the chain and sprockets should have enough oil to prevent this. The wet weather wont help.

The gears should not make any funny noises.

Is it a local bike shop or a multi national chain?

OP
OP
B

Budgie

Well any part that is steel (uncoated or cheaply coated) will show signs of rust within a few weeks. But the chain and sprockets should have enough oil to prevent this. The wet weather wont help.

The gears should not make any funny noises.

Is it a local bike shop or a multi national chain?

Hi, thanks for replying, It's a chain, but local to the Midlands, not a really big one.

Peteaud

Veteran
As the gears are not right you could take it back again and complain.

Or if you have a local small shop that local cyclists can recommend you could take it there, although its extra cost.

To be honest my LBS is way better than any of the chains.

If you get to know the LBS it may help in the long run.

Ive got a £1000 bike and some of the screw heads are showing signs of rust even though the bike is dried off and looked after.

Chains should not rust if looked after, even if cheap 3 - 1 oil is used on them.

Pauluk

Peteaud said:
Ive got a £1000 bike and some of the screw heads are showing signs of rust even though the bike is dried off and looked after.
Yes, I hate it when the bike manufactures use cheap plated bolts. I replace all mine with stainless steel cap heads and stainless steel grub screws. I buy them from a local screw and bolt retailer and they cost pennies.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
My bikes got rusty bolts in the vbrake arms, the bolt that connects the stem to the headset (think thats right terms) and the old chain had some orangey bits. I think the main cause is arriving home late in winter, then putting it in the shed/garage still wet and it not drying off because its too cold to dry. I guess it'd be super cheap to replace them with some decent bolts.

Take it back and get the gears adjusted properly. I cant believe anyone who does it for a living has trouble getting them reasonably well adjusted.

sidevalve

Über Member
As above get the gears sorted but just to say naked steel will begin to visibly rust within hours unless protected in some way.

Nebulous

Guru
Is it kept outside during the day at work, or overnight?

Exposure to the elements, particularly water will speed up the rusting process. You need to clean it, then dry it and lubricate at least the chain and gear sprockets anytime they get wet, if you want to prevent or slow its rusting. That might seem like a lot of faffing about, but if you get into a routine it doesn't take long. Do a search on here for the mickle method. Of course many people don't bother, but then they tend not to get upset by rust.

On a more expensive bike more of the exposed bits will be alloy, which doesn't corrode as readily as steel.

Top Bottom