New bike advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
Hi I am new to these forums and have been enjoying looking through all the posts over the last couple of days.

I need some adivce currently I have a 3 year old Giant Rock SE Mountain Bike which I have fitted a rack and mud guards and I use it for day rides, I like it because sometimes I see an off road track while I am out and I think hmmm I wonder where that goes and I can't resist having a look which is no problem on the Giant but it isn't the lightest bike around.

I am looking to get a new bike that is more suitable for longer rides probably a Road type bike, at the moment I tend to do around 45 miles on a ride but I want to push that up to around 75 miles over the next year.

The bikes I have seen so far that I liked are the Specialized Tricross Sport and the DAWES Audax Sport I would like a bike that will also go off road which the Specialized can also do, looking at prices the Specialized seems to be priced around the £700 - £800 mark whereas the Dawes is on offer at Spa Cycles for £460 so is the Specialized worth all the extra dosh. I have also looked at the Dawes Galaxy but again the price is quite high in comparison.

Any advice or thoughts appriciated.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I'd love to help but don't know these bikes well enough to be helpful. I'm sure someone will be around soon to help out...

JackE

Über Member
I had a Dawes Audax ('05 model) for 3 years and even with 28mm Schwalbe Marathons I wouldn't have used it for any "rough stuff". Even on fairly decent canal toe-paths etc it was struggling (or perhaps it was me!). I now have a titanium tourer with 32mm Marathons and it takes rough tracks in its stride.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
I wouldn't bother with a Galaxy for off road stuff...it's a lovely bike and a cool 'fast' tourer...good under load and capable of some surprisingly high speeds for a tourer...but Of froad..hmm...well I did do a fair amount of 'rough path' work in Germany on it and ..well It's a road bike..nuff sedded.

OP
OP
phil_hg_uk

phil_hg_uk

I am not sure what size I need I just got back from looking at the Specialized Tricross Sport the local shop and they say it will be either a 52cm or a 54cm but they won't know until they do a proper fitting. They have offered me 10% off if I order before sat which will bring the price to more or less £700 I know I can get it cheaper on the net but at least at a local shop you get it properly fitted and the backup but I can't help thinking it's a lot of money when I could get theDAWES Audax Sport for £460 hence the post.

OP
OP
phil_hg_uk

phil_hg_uk

Thanks to the people who answered I have now bought a 2nd hand Dawes Galaxy Ultra I decided to go for a tourer and then I will buy a better quality new mountain bike later when I have destroyed mine plus it was a bargain and I couldn't resist.

Plax

Guru
phil_hg_uk said:
Thanks to the people who answered I have now bought a 2nd hand Dawes Galaxy Ultra I decided to go for a tourer and then I will buy a better quality new mountain bike later when I have destroyed mine plus it was a bargain and I couldn't resist.

Nice one, I have the Ultra Galaxy you won't regret your purchase. It has been on those gravel cycle paths, but I prefer to stick to the roads on it. So far managed to get 41mph downhill on it :blush:. It's ideal for commuting to work with.

OP
OP
phil_hg_uk

phil_hg_uk

I look forward to getting it, I got it from Spa Cycles selling it on behalf of a customer, I am having them do a few jobs on it before I pick it up and it also has a couple of places on the frame that will need the paint touching up so I will need to find a paint match for it. I went in there to look at the Horizon and then they said they had a 2nd Hand Ultra Galaxy for £350 and it was the right size so I thought I may as well get that. I didn't really want to shell out the sort of money they are new until I make sure I can get used to a drop bar bike again as it was 15 years ago that I last rode a drop bar, but I found just riding it around the block it was much easier then my mountain bike so hopefully it will improve my range on day trips.

Top Bottom