New bike - Advice please!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Abitrary

If getting an all-rounder, I'd go for a hybrid with rigid forks.

I tried the velocity and both the models underneath it recently on the same day, and the velocity was way, way better. Well nimble.

Don't get a hybrid with suspension forks because they will do your head in in stop / start traffic... bobbing around and all.

If you think you need to do rough stuff at speed, get a decent MTB, but again, the suspension will do your head in on the road

OP
OP
KitsuneAndy

KitsuneAndy

Abitrary said:
If getting an all-rounder, I'd go for a hybrid with rigid forks.

I tried the velocity and both the models underneath it recently on the same day, and the velocity was way, way better. Well nimble.

Don't get a hybrid with suspension forks because they will do your head in in stop / start traffic... bobbing around and all.

If you think you need to do rough stuff at speed, get a decent MTB, but again, the suspension will do your head in on the road

I went for the Trek 4300 in the end, it just felt a little nicer to me.

The Velocity was lighter and would definitely have been the commuter bike, but we have a lot of quite nice off-road tracks around here and I definitely prefer that to on-road when riding for pleasure.

My commute is only 2 - 5 miles depending on which office I'm working in that day, so although the Trek isn't *ideal* for commuting, it doesn't make a huge difference on such a short ride..

Rode it home today and it was 100 times better than riding my current/old bike. It does have suspension, but you can adjust the pre-load, first thing I did was set it to it's stiffest setting and it was fine, even with the stop/start of the traffic.

Now just to motivate myself to get out and cycle more!

Jack

KitsuneAndy said:
I went for the Trek 4300 in the end, it just felt a little nicer to me.

The Velocity was lighter and would definitely have been the commuter bike, but we have a lot of quite nice off-road tracks around here and I definitely prefer that to on-road when riding for pleasure.

My commute is only 2 - 5 miles depending on which office I'm working in that day, so although the Trek isn't *ideal* for commuting, it doesn't make a huge difference on such a short ride..

Rode it home today and it was 100 times better than riding my current/old bike. It does have suspension, but you can adjust the pre-load, first thing I did was set it to it's stiffest setting and it was fine, even with the stop/start of the traffic.

Now just to motivate myself to get out and cycle more!

Good news. :ohmy: Congratulations on your new bike, I hope you get a lot of enjoyment from it. :smile:

OP
OP
KitsuneAndy

KitsuneAndy

Jack said:
Good news. :biggrin: Congratulations on your new bike, I hope you get a lot of enjoyment from it. ;)

Went for the first ride on it today (other than commuting the couple of miles to work).

We did 30 miles in 3 hours, just riding at a nice casual pace, weather was too good to not enjoy it.

The missus took some photo's (bloody squirrells wouldn't sit still long enough for their pictures to be taken though), we had some food then cycled back.

The track changes between compacted sand, gravel and mud/fallen leaves and the bike was comfortable throughout all of it, so very pleased so far.

Now, to find out how unfit I actually am by how much I ache in the morning ;)

Top Bottom