New bike - advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Prasad

Hi,

Actually I already created this topic in another section, but, to get more responses I'm creating here again(I assume, this is section most visited),

Recovered from a fall . And now, utilizing ride2work scheme of Evans for new(first) road bike.

Currently I have hybrid commuter, and use to commute 22miles roundtrip till my fall in late dec. Which broke my routine and left arm.

I;ve shortlisted http://www.evanscycles.com/products/...-bike-ec021253

and http://www.evanscycles.com/products/...-bike-ec020700

Bianchi is 2009 model and Scott is 2010 model.

I seen/checked bianchi. But, to be honest, being not used to road bike, I can't compare it with anything.

scott model is expected to arrive within week. I'll finalize after testing it.

Please, your suggestions seeing specifications, your experiences.

Main motivation(reason) for this bike is to participate in London-Geneva challenge.

thanks a lot for reading this thread!

Norm

Both have decent kit on them, I'd be happy with either. But, if I was looking at a bike for distance work, I'd go for something more relaxed like the Specialized Secteur, which should have a more relaxed set up and stronger wheels.

Both your suggestions are listed at over £1k, which might fall foul of the cycle to work regulations. Evans' policy says
Is there a minimum and maximum amount that I can spend?
The minimum voucher amount is £250. The normal maximum voucher amount is £1,000, although you can buy bikes and accessories that cost more than this if you top up the difference yourself when you collect the bike. Evans Cycles can issue vouchers greater than £1,000 but your employer must apply for a credit licence to do this.

OP
OP
P

Prasad

Norm said:
Both your suggestions are listed at over £1k, which might fall foul of the cycle to work regulations. Evans' policy says

I'm bargaining with them to fit it under £1k, last week there was promotion for 10% off. Hoping to fit it under £1k.

Norm said:
But, if I was looking at a bike for distance work, I'd go for something more relaxed like the Specialized Secteur, which should have a more relaxed set up and stronger wheels.

As I mentioned, I'm very new to minute details of road bike. Probably, I should keep in mind.

Thanks for your advice !

OP
OP
P

Prasad

Norm said:
No prob. Good luck with the trip. How many days is the challenge over?

Thanks ! It's over 9 days, with a day break in paris. Starting 4th may. There is break in training due to broken hand for last 6 weeks. Will start again with this purchase. Will keep you informed about my decision.

Just to add, Bianchi is 2009 model , will cost £950. Scott is 2010 model probably cost £990.

Top Bottom