New bike advice...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C17rsf

Hi guys,

I'm a total newbie and looking to buy a new bike. Mainly because i entered the Ride100 ballot and I have got in. woohoo. Training begins.

So im now looking for a entry level bike, I've been to a few bike shops and obviously getting various opinions. One suggestion was a 2014 Willier Montegrappa Sport Road Bike.

Does anyone else have a suggestion?

SWSteve

Guru
What's your budget?

MikeW-71

Veteran
It's a good shout to look for a previous-year model, as you'll get them at a good discount now and get more for your money.

The Willier looks good to be fair and the gearing is a beginner-friendly 11-28 cassette. Well worth paying attention to gearing and looking at 11-28 as a minimum and preferrably 11-32 with 50/34 chainrings (compact).

Most important is that the bike must be the right size and you must like riding it, don't buy a bike that's too big just because it's 50% off. :smile: Go and sit on the bikes and get a test ride if you can. Evans Cycles are particularly good for test rides, but most good local bike shops will do it too.

For other suggestions, you won't go wrong with anything from the big 4: Giant, Specialized, Trek, Canondale, but the likes of Bianchi, Willier, Cube, Focus, Merida, Felt are right up there too.

A brand-new suggestion from me is this, if your budget is around £500:
http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/defy.4/19187/77297/#specifications

Good luck with the ride :biggrin:

bikeman66

I have a Felt F95, which should have retailed at £599.00 when I bought it mail order from Merlin Cycles in September 2014. I paid just £365.00 for it, which represents a real bargain. Rides fantastically, pretty good specification for the money and seems to get consistently good reviews.

As others have said, always worth looking for a previous years model. Most often, your only looking at a different colour scheme and a few minor componentry changes, but you'll pay alot less, leaving a bit of spare cash for some upgrade goodies.

Take some advice from the wealth of knowledge you'll find on here, read some on-line reviews, take a few test rides and have fun choosing your new bike.

There are some fantastic bikes out there at entry level, but there are certainly a few duds as well, so take your time a get something really worth riding.

andyfraser

Über Member
I can second the Felt F95. I also bought one from Merlin last September. It's a good, fast, robust bike. The downside would be it comes with a 11-25 cassette and 50/34 chain rings. I love this gearing but a complete beginner might prefer a lower geared cassette depending on the sort hills they'll have to climb.

bikeman66

I can second the Felt F95. I also bought one from Merlin last September. It's a good, fast, robust bike. The downside would be it comes with a 11-25 cassette and 50/34 chain rings. I love this gearing but a complete beginner might prefer a lower geared cassette depending on the sort hills they'll have to climb.
I agree that the 11-25 cassette might be a bit harsh for beginners, although as you say, depends on the terrain the bike will be used on. For only £20.00 you can get a 11-28 cassette (Shimano HG80) which is around half price, or an HG50 12-30 from Chain Reaction for just over a tenner.

I'm having a crack at Mont Ventoux late April/early May, and have ordered an 11-28 as a bit of insurance to get me to the top.

Really enjoying the F95. It rides very well and is very upgradable as parts wear out. Would have preferred it in white, but they didn't have a 58cm left, so settled for the black and green. Either way, providing me with some great cycling!

bikeman66

Hi guys,

I'm a total newbie and looking to buy a new bike. Mainly because i entered the Ride100 ballot and I have got in. woohoo. Training begins.

So im now looking for a entry level bike, I've been to a few bike shops and obviously getting various opinions. One suggestion was a 2014 Willier Montegrappa Sport Road Bike.

Does anyone else have a suggestion?
Just had a look at the Willier, and it does look like a very nice bike for the money. Very similar spec to my Felt (and most other bikes in the price range I guess). I guess as long as you can avoid the turds, you're almost spoilt for choice. Personal preference and a couple of decent reviews will probably seal the deal.

AAddict

Regular

andyfraser

Über Member
I agree that the 11-25 cassette might be a bit harsh for beginners, although as you say, depends on the terrain the bike will be used on. For only £20.00 you can get a 11-28 cassette (Shimano HG80) which is around half price, or an HG50 12-30 from Chain Reaction for just over a tenner.

I'm having a crack at Mont Ventoux late April/early May, and have ordered an 11-28 as a bit of insurance to get me to the top.

Really enjoying the F95. It rides very well and is very upgradable as parts wear out. Would have preferred it in white, but they didn't have a 58cm left, so settled for the black and green. Either way, providing me with some great cycling!
You're braver than me! It'll be a long while before I even think about Mont Ventoux! Even with my hybrids granny gear!

vickster

Legendary Member
Bike2work for ride 100 :whistle:

Will you also commute in it and thus potentially need mudguards and a rack?

Get some test rides on bikes available from the retailers which accept your c2w scheme. Many retailers won't sell you a reduced bike on c2w as they have to pay to take the voucher

OP
OP
C

C17rsf

Yeah I will commute, just getting into ride 100 has given me more of an incentive to get out on the bike more.
seems from looking around theres a lot of bikes out there but one shop said because of the training I will be doing and a 100 miler don't skimp on the bike and gearing and so should be looking tiagra or 105 sets minimum but obviously price will rise which is OK so have now been looking around the 7-800 Mark.
and suggestion guys?

Top Bottom