New Bike - Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bandini

Hello, Hope I am in the right place to ask this: I am looking to buy a bike for less than £600. I love the look/comfort factor of the 'classic' types such as the Pashley Sovereign, but I would also like to be able to bike to the North York Moors: about 60 miles there, camping and 6o miles back. Obviously three gears wouldn't really cut it! Realistically, I guess the town bike styling might not be applicable - so something 'plain and simple' looking would be OK. So, can anyone recommend anything that is: reliable, 'plain' or 'classic' looking, comfortable, yet capable of taking on a few hills (not too many cos I don't go far into the moors) - or am I asking for the moon on a stick! Advice gratefully appreciated. Thanks, Damian.

WeeE

I'm a beginner biker with no technical knowledge, but you can get dutch-style bikes with 6 or 7 speed Shimano gears from a one-man London firm that imports them capitalcycles.co.uk. They come fully equipped - all the mudguards, rear rack, lights - and they're a helluva lot cheaper than Pashleys. They guy is very passionate about his bikes and very approachable if you email or call him with questions.

Any of you more experienced folk, I'd be interested in what you think of these bikes for the price - the specs, the components etc as value for money.

The model I got seems to be sold out at the moment, (one of two stepover models) but it's not too different. Only had it a few weeks, but so far, it glides along, sturdy and comfy as anything - you don't notice 20 kilos of shopping on the back (and that's about half my bodyweight).

wafflycat

If you are looking to carry camping stuff, and looking to be cycling 60+ miles in comfort, I suggest you look to a touring bike. There's a reason tourers are bought by people doing a spot of cycle touring - they work as suitable for purpose :headshake:

Fiona N

Veteran
I'd definitely agree with Wafflycat - not even Dutch 7-speeds (not known for the lightness) are going to cut it on North York Moors hills especially when you've camping gear on the bike. Dutch bikes are great for Dutch-type terrain; North Yorks needs a touring bike with a good range of gears :biggrin:
They can look quite traditional too - in fact, cycle tourists are known as the last redoubt of mudguards and saddlebags :becool:

jimboalee

For less than £600, you'll be looking ( new ) at a bike which weighs in at around 25lb unloaded.
It will ideally have a 30 or even a 28 small ring of the three. It would be best to have a 33 or 34 tooth sprocket next to the spokes.

It's lowest could be 22 inches, which will be low enough to put 15lb of racks and luggage on the bike and ride up a 12% gradient.

ie. You will get off and push up the roads with a chevron.

If £600 is to include the racks and panniers, you are best to scour the second hand market because a new bike will be cheaper and heavier, restricing you're luggage weight; and not have the gearing you need.

wafflycat

Here's some ideas if you go the new route as opposed to secondhand

http://www.mailorderbikes.com/products.php?plid=m1b591s20p1576&rs=gb
http://www.richardsonsonline.co.uk/cycle_info.php?id=559&bike=Regent 2008
http://spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b1s21p1638&rs=gb

There's pros and cons to both buying new and secondhand. In either event, you need to get a bike that fits. Too big or too small and you won't be comfortable. You may find you'll need/want to change the saddle to one that is comfortable for your nether regions (note, big squishy saddles are NOT comfortable over anything but a very few miles). I suggest you start visiting some bike shops and try out different brands/models for size. Do not be tempted to buy early: shop around. Then armed with those experiences make your mind up. If you buy online, be prepared to have to do a bit of putting together of bike once it comes out of box. If you buy secondhand, you need to be clued up enough to be able to spot any major repairs/faults/work needed etc. If you buy from a bike shop you should get the bike set up properly for you and a first service included once the components have bedded down.

Hope the above helps.

Top Bottom