new bike advise pls

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

panicbuy

Regular
Hi to everyone iam new to the forum and looks a great site to get some information and help.

Iam looking to purchase a new road bike very soon
Iam currently own a Merida Ride and have owned this for around 3 yrs so looking to take a bigger step
I've looked at a fair few bikes this last 3 months or so and a few have caught my eye but was hoping to get some advise before I make a decision.
The bikes I've been looking at are the venge vias and the scott foil team issue and the scott solace premium
The type of ride I do is about 30-50miles with climb around 1500ft around 3-4 times a week weather permitting.
Also around 2-3 sportives a year
I have a budget of 6k
Iam also going to London bike show on 18th feb to take a look at a few scott bikes
Just looking to see what people views are

And help would really be appreciated

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
That is a fair budget

My suggestion would be spend £1k max and keep the rest, till you know what you want rather than ask complete strangers.

Sorry.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Hi to everyone iam new to the forum and looks a great site to get some information and help.

Iam currently own a Merida Ride and have owned this for around 3 yrs so looking to take a bigger step
I've looked at a fair few bikes this last 3 months or so and a few have caught my eye but was hoping to get some advise before I make a decision.
The bikes I've been looking at are the venge vias and the scott foil team issue and the scott solace premium
The type of ride I do is about 30-50miles with climb around 1500ft around 3-4 times a week weather permitting.
I have a budget of 6k
Iam also going to London bike show on 18th feb to take a look at a few scott bikes

Do you really need to spend all that money on a bike?

A third-ish of that money buys a very nice bike.

You might need to find an elite cycling forum to get reviews of bikes in that price range, although there are CC'ers with bikes made of unobtanium, I doubt many others have the funds, needs, or inclination to spend that much on a bike.

FWIW I spent too much when I bought my best bike, (and it wasn't even quite half your budget TBH), and yes I do regret it in many ways.

I know the bike will do me for years to come, but having so much money tied up in a bike has royally pi$$ed me off at times, but of course if moneys no object then this issue is moot anyway.

Good luck, I do love bike shopping, I just wish I knew when it would become an option for me again :sad:

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
I'd go to a few high end shops and get their advice. Where do you live?
It's your money, if you want to spend 6k and can, then do but shop wisely. The bike show will expose you to brands that may not be in your immediate radar. I.e. Not the American big boys. If in London, I think Swift nr Liverpool St might sell high end Scott models

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
what bikes could you recommend

A hand made steel framed made by one of the small frame builders

mattobrien

Guru
There's are some lovely bikes here http://www.ubyk.co.uk

My good bike is a Scapin Erika RC, which was around your budget when I got it. I have since upgraded the wheels from Fulcrum Racing Zero to Enve 3.4's.

It was a big leap from my previous road bike, but well worth it. It is a bike I love riding all the time and I don't regret it for a second.

It's your money, so if you can afford and you want a £6k bike, then go for it.

It is contagious though, I have now got a Cipollini on order, which would probably be ready to ride now if the SRAM etap HRD hadn't been delayed until June. I shall wait patiently and slum it on the Scapin for a few more months.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

panicbuy

Regular
I agree it's definitely contagious
As I've said I've been looking at venge vias and scott foil team issue and like both
Also looked at scott solace premium

what bikes could you recommend

I cannot think of any bike at a 6k budget that I wouldn't recommend. £2.5k is a pipdream budget for me so the only advice I would give is hit the web, Google road bikes, check some sites out, set the sort or filter to your budget, and see what takes your fancy. Then go and try a few out, firstly because it'll be the sizing that will matter, and secondly because they usually look quite different to their photos in terms of colour depth, and aesthetics is easily the most important thing :smile:

Good luck and keep reporting back.

Bb

I have a budget of 6k

You do do a decent amount of riding, compared to me, so splash out, why not, although I reckon 3k will do.

Bb

Top Bottom