New bike but wrong bike!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

E.T.

There is often a misconception between tyre width and grip. the narrower the profile the higher the pressure (N) on the contact spot - see the speed them Road Racy peeps go!

Racing cars have wide tyres for heat dissipation (not more grip), Rally cars turn to narrow tyres for rain and snow and mud, wide for sand, wide for road sections (heat dissipation again)

If you look at car tyres, especiallythouse that claim very good wet , they are a series of narrow sections (still wider than your...28?...width). What is more important than tread, is having the right compound. In fact tyres grip to road surface works on a molecular level, so the chemical content of the rubber compounds makes a huge difference.

Enjoy your new bike!

OP
OP
Nutty1979

Nutty1979

WOW!!!!! first commute on the new bike, longer route 8.5 miles in 30mins and i took a wrong turn. hit a top speed of 29.1mph and i loved every min of it. Only had trouble once trying to get my shoe to click in the peddle. I was behind someone on a black condor going over the bow flyover with a helmet cam, wondered if hes on here.
Cant wait to go home now haha.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
29mph isn't that fast, I can get over 30mph on the flat on a hybrid (just not for long distances), but if you are going to that sort of speed remember to look well ahead and plan you course in advance. Don't try to rely of reacting to situations as they occur, look for the hazards and plan you response to them before you get there...

Live long and live happy:biggrin:

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Nice bike - you should lose the spoke reflectors though, that might get you another 0.01 MPH!

I take them off by crushing them with pliers and then smash them into tiny pieces with a hammer.

OP
OP
Nutty1979

Nutty1979

threebikesmcginty said:
Nice bike - you should lose the spoke reflectors though, that might get you another 0.01 MPH!

I take them off by crushing them with pliers and then smash them into tiny pieces with a hammer.

Funny you should say that, a bloke at work said the same thing :biggrin: will do it when i next get the chance.

Top Bottom