New bike care?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Morning all :biggrin:

I have a new MTB, well in actuall fact I've had it over a month, still sitting there unused while the roadie clocks up the miles.......

Anyway, assuming I ever do get out on the thing, it has some kind of sticky grease on the chain and cassette.
I assume this is to prevent rust whilst in storeage/transit, Should I thoroughly clean all of it off using WD40 or a solvent or similar or just lube and wipe Mickle style.

If so, should I not worry about cleaning the gunk off the cassette ?

I just want to get it right after destroying my old bikes transmission so quickly through ignorance, and this thing has XT kit on so won't be cheap to replace :biggrin:

slow down

I've always cleaned it off and then applied whatever I'm using at the time for chain lube. The gunk they put on at the factory does a good job of collecting every bit of dirt that you pass, until you end up with a nice grinding paste on your drive chain.

ive giving you a quote from sheldon brown as he can say it a bit better then me.

factory lube

new chains come pre-lubricated with a grease-type lubricant which has been installed at the factory. This is an excellent lubricant, and has been made to permeate all of the internal interstices in the chain.

This factory lube is superior to any lube that you can apply after the fact.
Some people make the bad mistake of deliberately removing this superior lubricant. Don't do this! The factory lubricant all by itself is usually good for several hundred miles of service if the bike is not ridden in wet or dusty conditions. It is best not to apply any sort of lube to a new chain until it is clearly needed, because any wet lube you can apply will dilute the factory lube.

nead i tipe some more.

arch) im fine a bit sore in 1 or 2 places but that is to be (for now) im looking at going back to work next week i just need a letter to say that its ok from the doc. riding a bike tho? thats going to take some time i think but coc have the full range so i think ill be trying some thing soon:ohmy:

domtylerHey, if this factory lube is so good then why can't I buy some?

i know its the same when i was a chef i could get food that you can never buy in the shops its just the way it is :biggrin: them...... and ........ us

slow down

spandex said:
ive giving you a quote from sheldon brown as he can say it a bit better then me.

factory lube

new chains come pre-lubricated with a grease-type lubricant which has been installed at the factory. This is an excellent lubricant, and has been made to permeate all of the internal interstices in the chain.

This factory lube is superior to any lube that you can apply after the fact.
Some people make the bad mistake of deliberately removing this superior lubricant. Don't do this! The factory lubricant all by itself is usually good for several hundred miles of service if the bike is not ridden in wet or dusty conditions. It is best not to apply any sort of lube to a new chain until it is clearly needed, because any wet lube you can apply will dilute the factory lube.

nead i tipe some more.

But I'm guessing riding an MTB in the UK will either be in wet or dusty conditions? :biggrin:

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Thanks for the replies peeps, appreciated.

As a newb I feel I have no place arguing against Sheldon Brown BUT this stuff is really sticky, I mean you could stick paper to it if you were really bored or something.

Surely thats going to be destructive once it picks up grit on the trails? or not?

The bikes a Trek BTW, just in case they use something different on their bikes and it doesn't feel greasey, just sticky :biggrin:

Edit: Oh and welcome back Spandex :biggrin:

slow down

My Bianchi had a similar stuff on, which is why I'd recommend stripping it off. really sticky waxy lube which within 30 miles was black and you could feel the bits in it. Also left black residue on the stays and rear rim. Horrible stuff :biggrin:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The Shimano stuff is the best........kmc stuff is well sticky/dirty....

I've got some shimano lube somewhere, but it's a pump it up enviro friendly stuff, that delivers a drop to the chain..bloody pain in the ass - but it's the pukker stuff. Otherwise I stick with my Finish Line Dry for road stuff - doesn't matter if it washes off in the rain - all chain lubes do and need a wipe and clean.

gwhite

Über Member
The factory lube is present on the rollers and it's important that this is not removed, even when cleaning the chain. That's why chain manufacturers do not recommend removing the chain and cleaning it by popping it in a jar with some sort of solvent. I use Prolink Progold myself which is said to clean and lube at the same time. It does not attract dirt and works pretty well. Dear though.

Finish Line Teflon Dry Lube is a class act on the road, it does wash off in the wet pretty fast though.

If I am going for a very very long ride I take with me a tiny bottle of Finish Line Extreme Condition Wet Lube - attracts more dirt, but if it is wet for a long time I would need to give the bike an uber clean when I finish anyway.

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Thanks peeps :sad:

And thanks, "Slow Down."
That sounds like the stuff, horrible and sticky :biggrin:
I cleaned the chain by lubing with finish wet line and then wiping dry a couple of times and then gave the cassette a quick spray with the WD and a wipe with a rag.

I took the bike out today and got it absolutely plastered in mud, leaves and grass. I've hosed it off and its drying off in the front room (the Wifes gone out for a while :biggrin: :biggrin: )

Top Bottom