New bike computer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisKH

Guru
Right, i'm in the market for a new computer for the roadbike (currently have a Lidl or Aldi special). Can't afford a Garmin or anything so posh, so was thinking of a Cateye wireless with cadence, the more expensive one which reduces light interference, see:-

http://www.cateye.com/en/product_detail/461

Any better or cheaper alternatives that do the same thing? And when all is said and done, will this aesthetically pleasing wireless computer be any better? Is cadence measurement really necessary?

Or shall I stick with a wired Cateye with cadence which is half the price? It's not as if I have a Colnago. Or the legs to go with it. ;)

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
I'm in the market for a slightly less-extravagant computer though aesthetics play a big part in what I want. Wireless all the way for me. I've decided on this I saw it in the LBS today, it looks very nice as it's quite small but the display's relatively large. I was looking for a cadence model but I thought the same thing, will I really be bothered? I'm sure there's an argument for it but as this is my first cycle computer I'm sure keeping up average speed would be a good enough measure of my performance.

Redvers

Bought the Specialized Turbo Elite in a sale a couple of years ago for about £22.00. Small and neat, easily detachable and with a big display, it’s been totally reliable.
Not sure if it’s still available but I’m sure that they make an up to date equivalent.

Stu99

Über Member
If your current one is the 2008 Lidl special (which I also have) then I'd stick with it. It has proven itself to be better than any of the Cateye's I've owned and more reliable than a VDO which I have and which cost three times as much.

kyuss

Veteran
I'm a fan of VDO too. Very well built. I failed to mount mine properly one evening and when turning onto the main road at the end of my street it leapt from the bars and was then run over by about 8 cars and a van before a break in the traffic allowed me to retrieve it. It still works perfectly (and is barely even scratched).

I use wired ones too. Doesn't matter how more reliable they make wireless ones, there's still a chance of it screwing up (as well as the fact they eat batteries). Nothing worse than coming home from a nice 30-50 miles to find the computer has cocked up your average/max speed etc. The wire hardly gets in the way.

samid

Guru
Before I switched to Garmin, I had a VDO - it was fine in all respects but one - it was a model that could be quick-released from its cradle (apparently, one would want to do it to prevent it being stolen when the bike is left somewhere), and it rattled in that cradle. I could never get rid of that noise. (I must say that my Garmin Vista initially also rattled in its mount - but unlike the VDO, that was very easy to fix with a piece of electrician tape.)

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
I have never had a VDO rattle or come loose, but Mrs HJ did decide to be helpful one evening and take my computer off my bike for me, then twisted it the wrong way and snapped the securing lug off... Remember always twist of anti-clockwise...

Crankarm

Guru
To the OP I have used Cateye Mity 8 (wired) about £17 now for many years. They are very easy to use, set up, are robust, durable and have never malfunctioned having experienced all weather conditions. They have all the essential functions which are easy to navigate through whilst riding. However like you I would now like a computer with cadence as this would help to keep ones cycling constantly efficient. I have been toying with a Cateye Strada Cadence wireless which is a tad smaller than the Mity 8. I did get a wirless Cateye Cordless 7 for my Brommie as it folds as computers with wires weren't working because of the folding. At first the Cateye 7 was temperamental at the best of times there would invariably be no signal between transmitter and computer. Replacement batteries, one in the computer and one in the sender, cost £10 seemed to solve the problem. The current ones seem to have lasted a couple of years. Though I hardly look at it now and just cycle. I would get a wired set up over a wireless as there is less to go wrong and as I say batteries can be expensive on a wireless. The Cateye Mity 8 (wired) is very capable, robust, durable, easy to operate and a cheap entry computer. As I say I am tempted with a Cateye Strada Cadence but at £35+ it is a bit expensive and would also mean me having to replace the Mity 8 mounts I already have on other bikes should I wish to use it on them as it appears mounts are unfortunately not interchangeable in the Cateye range. You can buy separate Cateye wired mounts if you have more than one bike at a reasonable price.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/c/cycle/7/Computers/

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Categories.aspx?CategoryID=250

Hope this has helped.

FOAD

ChrisKH said:
Right, i'm in the market for a new computer for the roadbike (currently have a Lidl or Aldi special). Can't afford a Garmin or anything so posh, so was thinking of a Cateye wireless with cadence, the more expensive one which reduces light interference, see:-

http://www.cateye.com/en/product_detail/461

Any better or cheaper alternatives that do the same thing? And when all is said and done, will this aesthetically pleasing wireless computer be any better? Is cadence measurement really necessary?

Or shall I stick with a wired Cateye with cadence which is half the price? It's not as if I have a Colnago. Or the legs to go with it. :tongue:

I have the Cateye V2 and so far it has been excellent. Very easy to use whilst riding, secure and the wireless has been 100% reliable. I think Merlin are doing them for about £79 at the moment.

As for cadence, I didn't think I would need it, but it is now the ONLY thing I look at whilst out riding. Having worked out my most productive cadence, I pretty much look at it constantly to see if I am slacking a little, or need to change up or down to get back to my ideal cadence.

I have found it especially helpful on my commute where time is everything, as as soon as I notice a dip in my cadence of about 5 or 6 rpm's, I pick it up just a smidgen and it keeps me in a nice rythm. I am sure it doesn't work for everyone but it does for me. You can also set a cadence range whereby it sounds an alarm if you fall outside it (not that I use this, I have eyes).

biffosbats

BIKE COMPUTER

Had a Lidl wired computer which I think cost all of £4.99. I managed to break the wire on the front wheel when I washed my bike down after a particularly muddy towpath ride....boo hoo.

However, have now got the Aldi wireless version, which I seem to recall was only £3.99 and it does calories, temperature, total distance, average speed, and all manner of other stuff you might wish to know. As per most things these days, instructions for fitting and use are in 15 labguages (one of them IS English) but mostly just diagrams which can be a little difficult to follow.

So far, no complaints about the wireless version at all and for the price, you are getting a very good buy.

Top Bottom