New Bike Delivered Damaged - How?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Emanresu

Names? There is no way that should have been packed like that, never mind delivered. Retailer likely not have known.

Modern box (of stuff) shippers have to have trust in their suppliers that products are faultless as that keeps the inspection costs down. So issue is with the supplier and one to avoid.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
There's been something very strange going on here. I wonder if other customers have had the same experience?

The last flash bike I had delivered arrived in a huge box. I thought I'd been sent a grand piano by mistake.
I guess they figure it's better to spend extra on cardboard and delivery costs than to spend on returns.

Every other bike I've had has been fine in the standard cardboard bike box.

I've no idea how your damage could have happened. The box would have been wrecked so it must have happened before it was sent ?

DRM

Guru
Having witnessed a courier at a large, now defunct parcel company pick up a brand new Pinarello branded box flat above his head and launch it into the back of a Sprinter, then proceed to throw other boxes on top of it i'm not surprised, but as has been pointed out, that has been crushed prior to assembly, surely it must have been picked up at the factory QC stage prior to packing
Edit: I wonder if one/both of the headset bearings were installed a bit wonky & the steerer was forced into place, there also appears to be a rub mark/paint chip on the head tube

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gav2000

Gav2000

Guru
Very true did the box look like it had been tampered with?

The box hadn't been tampered with. There was some damage to one end of the box at the top but when I opened the box it was above the rear wheel and didn't seem to have affected the bike itself.

OP
OP
Gav2000

Gav2000

Guru
The last flash bike I had delivered arrived in a huge box. I thought I'd been sent a grand piano by mistake.
I guess they figure it's better to spend extra on cardboard and delivery costs than to spend on returns.

Every other bike I've had has been fine in the standard cardboard bike box.

I've no idea how your damage could have happened. The box would have been wrecked so it must have happened before it was sent ?

The box was only single thickness cardboard but both wheels were in the bike and the bars were turned and twisted under the top tube. There was protective wrap on all the tubes and on first look it all seemed ok. It was only when I tried to straighten and set the bars at the correct tilt that I noticed that the front end was wobbling

OP
OP
Gav2000

Gav2000

Guru
I'm with @Reynard here - I cringe to imagine what force that has seen.
I'd be buying elsewhere too.

I'm thinking the same. The response from the company when I rang them to explain that a badly damaged bike had been delivered was pretty poor - 'send us some photos and we'll take a look'. When I asked when they'd get back to me they said next week sometime as they're very busy! I expected a more helpful response and couldn't help thinking that they are just happy to hold onto my money for a while!

I'm thinking the same. The response from the company when I rang them to explain that a badly damaged bike had been delivered was pretty poor - 'send us some photos and we'll take a look'. When I asked when they'd get back to me they said next week sometime as they're very busy! I expected a more helpful response and couldn't help thinking that they are just happy to hold onto my money for a while!

That response would put my back up straight away! :angry:

Emanresu

Follow up with a written complaint with pics. Under the Distance Selling Regulations you can send it back within 14 days if it was purchased online. Sounds like they are trying to time that one out. Ask for a Returns Number too

Top Bottom