New bike: expensive frame with cheap components vs cheap frame with expensive components?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Eziemnaik

Über Member
Just get the better looking one

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Agree with comments above, but unless you buy frame and components separately, you're unlikely to be able to sway the balance that much either way - as you go up in price both frame and components will go up in spec.

And unless you're into the second hand market, it's likely that a whole new bike will be significantly cheaper that the bits bought separately.

Perhaps a slightly controversial view from me that componentry doesn't actually make that much difference once "good"; I have a bike with 9 speed Sora, and another with 11 speed ultegra. In all honesty, it makes very little difference.

mustang1

Guru
I'm probably more into the medium frame with medium components but if the choice only expensive or cheap frame, then I would go with expensive frame. But that's not because the components can be upgraded as they wear out, but more because the ride quality will be better.How much better? Dunno, but better.

Is it worth the price? Dunno, I think all bikes are over-priced but you want what you want.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Better frame, "basic" components.

Some decent but entry level bikes have so-called basic components on a really nice steel frame, but the current Sora groupset, while supposedly basic, is excellent.

On the other hand you can dress up a poor frame with any level of bling and it won't make it ride any better.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Given the theoretical choice, frame first. As suggested above though you rarely get the theoretical choice as component level often matches frame level, within boundaries. You won't find a cheap BSO covered in XTR components nor will you find a Yeti or Santa Cruz sporting Tourney.

You do sometimes see frames offered with a one or two range spread of components - and don't overlook the fork. Where possible splash out on the frame and fork and then upgrade components another day, if you feel it will add anything. You can always sell on any components you remove to help fund the replacements.

That said, for urban use I'd be looking at something other than a hardtail.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Entry level shimano components are so good nowadays, a more more expensive groupset makes little difference.

only caveat would be cheap cable disc brakes can be pretty crap - better off with rim brakes in that respect.

Frame every time.
There's so much bullshit talked about bikes.
A good bike is basically a good appropriate frame with good appropriate bits on it.
If the bits aren't quite up to scratch they can be replaced as they wear out.
Many old bits are perfectly good/maybe better than newer stuff in many ways.
So it's quite possible that second hand replacement bits might be superior to stuff that came on a newer bike.
For my purposes I rather prefer some lightly used second hand XT bits to the newer stuff.

12boy

Guru
In the past I would have always gone with a good frame first because higher quality steel frames were usually lugged and handmade which made them stronger at a lighter weight than hi-ten frames. I stll prefer steel frames but TIG welded chromo frames are strong and fairly light in the world of steel bikes. My Surly Steamroller has gone tens of thousands of miles and is still as good as new and it is TIG welded. As far as components go, inexpensive derailleurs, brakes, shifters, bottom brackets and seatposts are marginally heavier but work very well. I've come to love cartridge bearing headsets and hubs because the ones i've had for 15 years work great without any problems.
I find bikes with wider, lower pressure tires are best for gravel, dirt and urban streets with potholes, broken pavement and other hazards, so mountain bikes with city tires are a pretty good choice for urban commuting. Older road bikes say from the 80s, current gravel bikes, mountain bikes and hybrids usually will take those tires. A sturdy 25 pound bike is light enough for me, and as bikes get lighter, they get progressively more expensive.

OP
OP
AliShah2020

AliShah2020

Wow. Democracy has spoken!!! Thanks to everyone for commenting! 🍻 😊😎:okay:👏

Very good comments and advice thank you all very much! I was intuitively leaning towards frame as being the most important thing on a bike, as logically other parts are "wear and tear" and can be swapped out and replaced when required.

A really good point from this thread: "...As you go up in price both frame and components will go up in spec."

Thank you all.

I love MTB's I find them to be gorgeous, and so damn versatile. You can ride them anywhere and they just seem to be unbreakable. If you think there is a better bike for the city, what would it be? A hybrid? A road bike? Any links/names/suggestions please? Truth be told the next bike purchase is for my wife (but likely to be shared among the teenage boys too)... I am lucky, she is the type of woman to be happy with whatever I buy her and trusts I will buy her the best within the price range. :blush::wub::shy:

Last edited:
I'd say some form of hybrid/tourer is best for getting around London.
The idea that you need a mountain bike strikes me as a bit 80s - hell it's not a warzone and the roads aren't that bad.
In short, call me old fashioned, but something with 700 wheels.
28mm wide tyres ideal I think.
And if you intend to leave it anywhere,even with 1 or 2 locks, something that doesn't look too posh.

PS - hang onto that wife.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Out of all my bikes, if I was forced to choose one to keep for only city use it would have to be the Dawes Kingpin. The others would work but would be compromised. I’d probably build up a steel-framed, flat-barred, wide-ish tyred street bike.

Top Bottom