New bike for £200?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kovu

Über Member
Hugh Jarse said:
Col if you are fairly open minded about carrera they have recently bought out a entry level road bike to coincide with the tour de france it's bright yellow and I think it's £199.99 it may be a start but I think you would be better of with a srcond hand bike as I think it is possibly an old apollo with different stickers. Hope this helps.

I was looking at that one, but they havent got advertsing at all anymore.

Kovu

Über Member
Out of curiosty does anyone know if there is a possiblity of being able to get that bike?

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
Kovu, saw 1 in Redditch branch (their and my, home town) other week, popping down again on the 25th to see Mom, I can have a quick look for you if you like, don't know what size it was though but I do know (sociably) a couple of blokes who work at Halfords main depot in Redditch.

Kovu

Über Member
Well I had a look on the site and thats the only place I can get it - apart from my local Halfords, and I'm not sure if they will have it.

thanks anyways though

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
col said:
Cheers Big T,i know carrera compared to higher speck bikes is pretty basic as far as i know,but its actually what i have now as a mountain bike,and when i was using it ,i found it pretty good,so a road version of this might be worth looking at maybe?(oh iv broke the 19 stone mark today)been celebrating with a good old full english :blush:

the carrera range is pretty good value for money imho, although the patchy quality of service you get from halfords can be enough to put people off. for about £250 you can get a virtuoso with a compact chainset, 16 speed with sti shifters. perfect setup for a beginner and if you want to upgrade the components, wheels etc on it later on, no problem.

that's exactly what i did, and glad i did so. i should say that the current virtuoso is not the same as the one i bought, which had a rebadged merida frame, so i cannot say for sure that the one available now is as good as mine is. if you can find a branch of halfords with good bike shop staff, i reckon it should be a decent buy.

Mortiroloboy

Spookily, I was in my local Halfords today, looking for an 06 subway 1 , so I can join the rest of the family on their towpath rides, when my eye was drawn to a shiny red Virtuosso. IMHO VFM for £250 , make an ideal starter bike or a winter hack, which you wouldn't mind too much if you crashed. It wasn't a light weight, by any stretch, but a perfectly serviceable no frills bike.

The Halfords apollos are poo but the carrera range is good and usually well specced.

Bet these get reduced soon and they are a good bike,just dont trust the kids who put them together to do a very good job. !!!

Top Bottom