New bike, gears slipping

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jodami84

Bought a new Trek 3900 disc from my local bike shop over 3 weeks ago but havnt had much time to ride it until recently. Went out for my first proper ride yest and my gears are becominging increasingly hard to work with. Not used to my new ones yet (previous bike gripshift gears lol) but cant see what im doing worng, riding on middle cog, but any gears but 1,2, 7,8 are pretty much unridable. Is it something i can sort myself? Wondering if the LBS will take a look at it after nearly a month since the sale?

Help appreciated

Globalti

Legendary Member
It's probably the cable stretching and the outers settling in the ferrules. If you don't know how to reset the tension just take it back to the shop and ask them to show you how to do it; you don't have to wait until the first service!

This is the beginning of a relationship with your local bike shop that you need to feed and cherish. A packet of biscuits for the mechanics, the odd spend on accessories (while you buy the really expensive stuff from Wiggle, Parker, Ribble or CRC) and the odd ten minutes gossiping with the sales staff will help you to get better service from the shop.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Most decent bike shops offer a free 6 week check to do just that and adjust the cables which have stretched slightly and is normal.

OP
OP
J

Jodami84

Just read through the things that came with the bike and it appears that i have a free service to use before the end of June. May as well get that booked, two birds one stone.

cheers for the help

Whether or not your bike comes with a FFS (almost all do) it's fully covered by warranty. Do not be afraid to take it back into the shop to tell them how much it sucks.

They fact is, it's rare for the gears of new bikes not to go out of adjustment. so the bike shop is actually waiting for you to show up. They're expecting you.

If they don't adjust your gears, brakes and spokes they are exposing themselves to a future warranty nightmare. They call it a first free service to make you think you're getting something for nothing. They're simply covering their own backs.

OP
OP
J

Jodami84

Brilliant stuff. Was a bit worries tbh as it seemed to be getting markedly worse. The blokes at the LBS all seemed to be sound so hopefully can keep them onside. Being a complete novice, i expect i'll need to

Top Bottom