New Bike has issues, what to do

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User65906

He everyone
On Friday last week I went to Halfords to look at a Boardman ADV 8.9,
I checked the bike over and said I would be back when I got discount credits
sorted.
I went back today and paid for the bike, took it home.
First small issue, the crimped on end on the derailleur cable came off in my hand
as I was wrapping a Velcro strap around the down tube, its part of the fitting
to hold the pump onto the bottom of the seat tube, this resulted in the wire un ravelling,
but I looked closer and it was unravelled even as it passed through the clamp that holds
it to the front derailleur, so I twisted it up and put another on, but it does not look well on a new
bike, and it will unravel even more if I need to make an adjustment to the cable.

Then I started to check the tyre pressures, and as I did, I could see paint flaking off the spokes
here and there, I investigated, and two spokes, one on each wheel are marked, like they were
squeezed with a tool, these marks in my opinion are what caused the paint to flake off,
but they are going to weaken the effected spokes too.

I do not think this is acceptable for a new bike, and if I take it back, am worried what else will
be scratched or damaged during any repair, will the tyres will have to come off, so rims could get roughed up, tube out, old nipple / spokes out, new ones put in, and all put back together, and tensioned.

I just cant believe or see how a spoke can have a track in it on both sides of the two spokes in
question, other spokes are rough too, and am almost afraid to uncover any more marks.

Should I take it back and get it repaired, do I have a right to do this, I feel I should do for its not
my fault it came this way.

Other than these problems, I do like the bike, it fits perfect, am 5'7 1/2, the bike is the small
size, 50.5 marked on the frame, like the splayed drops, and the wide tyres soak up all the bumps.

What would you all do if you got a new bike with these issues, I never had a broken spoke and
am concerned the tool marks on either side of the spoke will weaken it, and I will eventually stretch
causing issues, or break, and to be honest, the inner cable for the front mech needs replaced,
and one of the shifter cables is on the wring side of the head tube and is way too tight when I
turn right, for all I know it could have pulled the front cable loose in the derailleur arm, it is tight
and rubs against the head tube so strongly I had to wrap it in cloth to take the bike out to test it,
this was not the case the Friday I looked it over, for they only had just took it out of the box the bars
were only sat on and hand tight, I also asked them to leave the bike like this so I could torque it
myself, but toady they had them tightened up, sideways ever so slightly.

Any comments welcome

Last edited by a moderator:

Lozz360

Veteran
Take it back. They will sort it for you. You have paid for a new bike, it should be in new condition.

OP
OP
U

User65906

@Silvercycler take it back but nicely ask them to sort out the snag list

What did you buy ?
ADV_8.gif

I bought the above bike.

OP
OP
U

User65906

He says it’s a Boardman ADV 8.9 in the opening sentence

Yes, take it back and get it replaced
Hi vikster, Get the whole bike replaced, am thinking they won't like that idea, and I do not want to annoy
them or they will take for ever to get me sorted, and who knows what the next on will be like.
I used to be a welder, and I like this frame, as it has nicely finished welds, I was looking at other
alloy bike in Halfords, and no two were finished the same, understandable as humans do the
welding and no two of us have the same perception.

Am annoyed at how the bike wheels got damaged from Friday to Tuesday, this just shows a total lack
of ability on Halfords behalf.

I bought there before and had no issues at all, just down to the individual staff members involved.

OP
OP
U

User65906

Of course the bike should be right, these things should have been sorted with the pdi. Unfortunately this is often the main complaint with Halfords on here.
Wheels had no such marks on Friday when I looked it over, really annoying how they
could not even store a bike and keep it safe until collection.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
He says it’s a Boardman ADV 8.9 in the opening sentence

@vickster you have just highlighted one of the most obvious differences between the 2 sexes , most men only skim read whilst the fairer sex read it and the bits in between thanks for pointing it out to me ^_^

I hate hassles like this - but a take deep breath and think how many hours you worked to buy that bike - you have paid your money and kept your end of the deal - they haven't kept there end (imagine if you only turned with 75% of the money and asked if that was ok)
If the good are faulty, not as described - you are entitled to a refund. I would go in and ask for that - they won't want to do that - but then you are in a very strong position to say ok - sort it within 7 days and give me some freebies -

OP
OP
U

User65906

I hate hassles like this - but a take deep breath and think how many hours you worked to buy that bike - you have paid your money and kept your end of the deal - they haven't kept there end (imagine if you only turned with 75% of the money and asked if that was ok)
If the good are faulty, not as described - you are entitled to a refund. I would go in and ask for that - they won't want to do that - but then you are in a very strong position to say ok - sort it within 7 days and give me some freebies -
@biggs682
I actually like the colour for safety reasons, hopefully being more visible may pay off, though a donkey ran straight
into the back of my car last week, one would think it was big enough to see.

I rang Halfords, and for some strange reason no answer, found another number for them, no answer,
kept ringing until I got one, the guy who ordered the bike for me answered, was very nice, said to
bring it in and they would sort it, took it straight in, a different guy appeared, very helpful, while the
guy who was so nice on the phone, ignored my hello, and my goodbye as he kept talking to another
Halfords worker, he heard me clearly, other staff beside him heard me and smiled.
They are changing the spokes, and re routing the tight cable to the other side of the post,
I just hope this works out and they do not kink or twist cables around each other, they guy said
we will move a couple of them cables, I said its only one that is out of place, what can I do,
if they get this wrong, then a refund will be asked for, I don't like this kind of messing either and
bought locally just to cover such incidents as I can at least see and talk to the people, and no crazy courier
fees tooing and froing, this kind of thing did not happen in my earlier days, people had a reputation and
they knew how to keep it, and their customers.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
This is something that I've always like on Boardman bikes, they smooth finish the welds. I just wouldn't buy a frame with those horrible lumpy welds you see on many other frames.

As for getting it sorted push for a replacement and kick up a fuss if they refuse. The advantage you have is that they are the biggest retailer of bikes in the UK and they have a reputation to protect. Go higher and write to the CEO if you have to.

OP
OP
U

User65906

Just seen your last post. If sorted to your satisfaction that's fine but if not happy with the remedy you have the nuclear one!
I'm not hard to please, all I want is a functional bike, but it seems more difficult than it should me,
now under a month a go I bought a Canyon CF SL online of course, sight unseen, and every single
thing worked on it when it arrived, only had to slot in front wheel, sit on and align handlebars,
now I did check every other nut and bolt, and not a single inconsistency, I will buy a Canyon again
in their sale, can't be bothered with people or products that are not what they are supposed to be. I have an issue with Canyon though that I only recently discovered, they use non standard headset bearings, which are expensive,
expensive is ok, but, some are only getting 800 / 1200 miles out of them, not that is not
good at all.
Now saying that,

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom