New bike help needed.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nathan182

My 6 year old bike was taken to Halfords at the beginning of the week to be fully serviced as ive been sat in the shed for years, just had a phone call saying that the bikes needs everything replacing including new wheels, tyres, brakes, gears etc. The guy did advise me not to go through with the service as it would cost around the £130 mark and he said for that price I could get a similar spec bike but new ofc, so I need some advice on a new bike, I want the bike for long rides up the canal and local bike paths and so on, but I want it to be capable, I also don't want to spend more than £150 ish on it so any recommendations would be hugely appreciated thanks.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
What sort of bike was in for the service? For £150 you will probably be better off looking around for a secondhand bike.

Just because it's been sat in a shed for several years doesn't mean to say it's FUBAR.

If you're not confident in tackling repairs yourself, (I make this assumption on the fact it's currently in Halfords!), then go and get it back, tell them you will think about how best to proceed, then take it to a proper local bike shop, (LBS), and ask them to look at it and give you a quote for what it needs to get it safely functional for use.

BTW, was it fully operational when it was put in the shed 6 years ago? If so then I'd wager it does not need everything the under qualified, under paid teenage Bike Hut nobber suggests it does.

Get a second opinion Nathan, simples.

PS: you can ask on here for recommendations for LBS's in your area :thumbsup:

I was just about to say what smkeysmoo suggested. It is not unknown for some of the chain stores such as Halfords to be less than enthusiastic about cycle repairs. A local bike shop will generally give you some sound advice on what is actually needed to get you cycling again. I'm sure there will be at least a couple of shops in or near Newport that someone can recommend. I can't help on that as I'm in the Scottish Borders! Good luck and hope you are mobile again shortly.

Martyn

BJH

Über Member
I am actually surprised they agreed to service it, been in a number of their stores where they had signs saying they don't do servicing.

Which is rich considering they sell bikes

Try somewhere else like your local shop, at least if it is dead they can give you sensible advice on what you should be looking for based on your intended usage.

OP
OP
N

Nathan182

I have done a lot of research over the weekend, spoke to my local bike store and they seem to think for my price range and due to the fact im just getting into bikes that a btwin bike from decathlon would be my best option, however I was leaning towards the riverside 1 but after scouring the internet all weekend I have noticed a lot of bad press towards this bike regarding brake downs etc. I have sort of come to the decision that im going to get this bike http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-50-mountain-bike-black-id_8238214.html. Im mainly going to be riding up the canal on unsteady loose grit paths so I think it fits the bill. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Peteaud

Veteran
I have done a lot of research over the weekend, spoke to my local bike store and they seem to think for my price range and due to the fact im just getting into bikes that a btwin bike from decathlon would be my best option, however I was leaning towards the riverside 1 but after scouring the internet all weekend I have noticed a lot of bad press towards this bike regarding brake downs etc. I have sort of come to the decision that im going to get this bike http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-50-mountain-bike-black-id_8238214.html. Im mainly going to be riding up the canal on unsteady loose grit paths so I think it fits the bill. Any feedback would be appreciated.

I would have gone for the Riverside 1

There is nothing wrong with it, but as they are the cheaper end of the market they are often poorly set up in the 1st place.

OP
OP
N

Nathan182

I have read a lot of bad reviews about it, wheel wobble etc. I just think for the type of surface im going to be riding on the rockrider 5.0 seems like the better option?

Cyclist33

for that money i would be scouring second hand ads for a rough-it bike without suspension. lighter, less to go wrong, better components for the money.

and i would be taking a knowledgeable friend with me when going in for the kill.

stu

OP
OP
N

Nathan182

This is the problem as I am new to the whole bike world and didn't realise there was so much to consider when buying a bike the thought of buying a new bike is a lot easier for someone in my position who doesn't know anything about bikes or know anyone that knows anything about bikes, so any thoughts on the rockrider 5.0?

Top Bottom