New bike help please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gibbo9

Veteran
Hi All,
After a couple of years thrashing round the North Yorkshire countryside on my Giant Defy 3 I've decided to treat myself to a brand new bike.

I've joined my employers cycle to work scheme so I'm limited to £1000 (although I'm happy to add a few hundred quid to get the right bike).

Not wishing to go to some corporate bike supplier I've arranged a full fit session at my LBS where they will advise on what they consider best suited for me (I want to stick to my LBS if possible). My only concern is that they only really stock 2 types of bike in my price range and these are Focus and Lapierre.

I know I'd get much more choice shopping elsewhere but I'm keen to give my cash to my LBS, so any guidance from your goodselves would really help.

vickster

Legendary Member
Ride what they've got in your budget and spec and decide which suits you best. Simples :smile:

OP
OP
Gibbo9

Gibbo9

Veteran
This is the one I have been looking at to be honest

Attachments

• IMG_2016.PNG
    IMG_2016.PNG
    51.7 KB · Views: 70
OP
OP
Gibbo9

Gibbo9

Veteran

rivers

How far can I go?
I'd probably go for the Focus Cayo if I were you. Seems to be good value for money, with full 105 for £899.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Can see what you mean about the yellow. I'd add the extra just to get the red one. None of the ones you linked looked particularly inspired.
Pity you want to stick with your LBS. I'd say this takes a lot of beating at the price and even at several hundred quid more too:
http://www.cyclingweekly.com/reviews/road-bikes/btwin-ultra-720-af

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
The lappierre Audacio appeals to me as an endurance bike should be a bit more comfortable than an out and out racer.

IO5 groupset is decent stuff and a compact with 11/32 cassette should get you up most hills .

A bike is a very personal thing though . You have to consider the practicality of it but it also has to look and feel good to you.
Using an LBS is a good move .You will get more help from them in the future if you need it.
ask for an extended test ride on one before committing to buy .

PS nothing wrong with focus bikes either but Some have higher gearing than the audacio ok if you are a strong climber. I just like the look of the Audacio and the low gearing would suit me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom