New Bike... Help please!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dbd85

Hi All

I am planning to buy a bike and need some help here! I have't been cycle for quite sometime but now that I have moved to South West London (Richmond Borough) I am looking forward to get back on the saddle.

My primary use of the bike will be to cycle during the weekend with my daughter using a child bike seat or to go for a nice ride by myself (road or parks (Bushy or Richmond))

Having had a bit of a look on internet and speaking with few retailers, I figured out that my best bet is an Hybrid bike. Ideally something closer to a road bike rather than a mountain bike.

Few models have came out but not sure which one is better:

Whyte Whitechapel https://www.moorescycles.co.uk/whyte-whitechapel-2020-hybrid-bike.php?___SID=U
Whyte Shoreditch https://www.moorescycles.co.uk/whyte-shoreditch-2020-hybrid-bike.php?___SID=U
Giant Escape 1 https://www.moorescycles.co.uk/giant-escape-1-disc-2020-hybrid-bike.php
Giant Escape 2 https://www.moorescycles.co.uk/giant-escape-2-disc-2020-hybrid-bike.php
Specialized Sirrus X 3.0 https://www.moorescycles.co.uk/specialized-sirrus-x-3-0-2020-hybrid-bike.php
Specialized Sirrus 2.0 https://www.moorescycles.co.uk/specialized-sirrus-2-0-2020-hybrid-bike.php

I have been advised that Whyte would be a better choice because are lighter and closer to what I am looking for. Would you agree?

Are there any other model you would suggest?

My top budget is 700 but would prefer to spend a bit less.

Any advice here is welcomed!

Thanks

Dan

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
I'm a Whyte fan. They ride beautifully and would serve you well.

AndyRM

XOXO
The Whyte's are probably your best bet, but they are all very similar bicycles.

They are all listed as out of stock on the links you've supplied though.

vickster

Legendary Member
I doubt Moore’s have any mid priced hybrid bikes in stock right now, like every other bike seller in SW London.
Have they said how long you may need to wait?
Agreed I’d have a Whyte :okay:
Richmond Park is hilly (for SW London), so check whether a single chain ring will provide the gears you want (especially with the weight of a child seat and small child on board)

Cycleops

Legendary Member
All much of a muchness. I’d go for one with a double chainring, you might be glad of more gears and less of a gap between them. There won’t be lot of weight difference. Internal cabling might be more trouble than it’s worth. All of which pales into insignificance if you can’t get hold of one. :sad:

OP
OP
D

dbd85

I doubt Moore’s have any mid priced hybrid bikes in stock right now, like every other bike seller in SW London.
Have they said how long you may need to wait?
Agreed I’d have a Whyte :okay:
Richmond Park is hilly (for SW London), so check whether a single chain ring will provide the gears you want (especially with the weight of a child seat and small child on board)

Thanks AndyRM

They don’t have Whyte right now but they should come next week. I left my details to secure one of those as soon as they come.

Between Whitechapel and Shoreditch, which one would you suggest? Is it worth to spend the extra £100 for the Shoreditch?

Thanks again

Dan

OP
OP
D

dbd85

All much of a muchness. I’d go for one with a double chainring, you might be glad of more gears and less of a gap between them. There won’t be lot of weight difference. Internal cabling might be more trouble than it’s worth. All of which pales into insignificance if you can’t get hold of one. :sad:

Thanks Cycleops
It is an interesting point you raise about the single vs double chainring. I take the point that having more options is always good however I read somewhere that single chainring sometimes is better because it is simpler to handle and cause less problem when shifting gears. Is it true?

Again I am not very knowledgable so any advice is welcomed

Thanks

Daniele

vickster

Legendary Member
Can you get a testride on any of the bikes once the stock comes in?
Clearly you’ll need to check with Moore’s that they can safely fit a child seat to whichever you choose :okay:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Apologies but I just spotted another bike from Giant that could fit what I am looking for...

Giant Fast Road
https://www.moorescycles.co.uk/giant-fastroad-sl-3-2020-hybrid-bike.php

This could be a contender of Whyte Shoreditch v2

any suggestion?

The benefit is that it has two chain rings

Thanks

Daniele

There won't be a lot in the gearing in practical use.

Front derailers can be unreliable unless they are kept in perfect fettle.

The rear derailers on both bikes will work nicely and carry on doing so without a lot of attention.

The Giant has a slightly more racy (head down) geometry.

As a new rider in an urban setting, sometimes with a child on the back, you will probably prefer the more upright (head up) riding position of the Whyte.

The mechanical bits on the Whyte are just what you want, good quality, but not stupidly expensive when replacement time comes.

Whyte are also notionally British, if that makes any difference.

Whichever bike you choose, worth checking before you put any money down on child seat fitting options.

OP
OP
D

dbd85

Can you get a testride on any of the bikes once the stock comes in?
Clearly you’ll need to check with Moore’s that they can safely fit a child seat to whichever you choose :okay:

thanks! I will ask them if it is possible to have a test ride

vickster

Legendary Member
thanks! I will ask them if it is possible to have a test ride
Make sure they sell you the right size and not just the one they have in stock. Whyte have a detailed size guide for each model on the website. If you’re between sizes, usually better to go smaller but may depend if you’re more long in torso or leg

OP
OP
D

dbd85

There won't be a lot in the gearing in practical use.

Front derailers can be unreliable unless they are kept in perfect fettle.

The rear derailers on both bikes will work nicely and carry on doing so without a lot of attention.

The Giant has a slightly more racy (head down) geometry.

As a new rider in an urban setting, sometimes with a child on the back, you will probably prefer the more upright (head up) riding position of the Whyte.

The mechanical bits on the Whyte are just what you want, good quality, but not stupidly expensive when replacement time comes.

Whyte are also notionally British, if that makes any difference.

Whichever bike you choose, worth checking before you put any money down on child seat fitting options.

Thanks for the tip

my only concern on the Whyte is that whilst it is probably the best option when riding around with my 4years old Little girl, it will probably be a bit more challenging for me to go around by myself over the weekend for a 30-50 km ride.

I assume I will have to compromise unless I am ready to purchase two bikes 😂

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks for the tip

my only concern on the Whyte is that whilst it is probably the best option when riding around with my 4years old Little girl, it will probably be a bit more challenging for me to go around by myself over the weekend for a 30-50 km ride.

I assume I will have to compromise unless I am ready to purchase two bikes 😂
Why?

OP
OP
D

dbd85

Make sure they sell you the right size and not just the one they have in stock. Whyte have a detailed size guide for each model on the website. If you’re between sizes, usually better to go smaller but may depend if you’re more long in torso or leg
Thanks

I am 1.8m so I should fit for a large on Whyte looking at the guidelines. I am more long leg, does it make a difference?

Top Bottom