New Bike... Help please!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks

I am 1.8m so I should fit for a large on Whyte looking at the guidelines. I am more long leg, does it make a difference?
Large should be fine :okay: I’m 5’10 (177?) and had a medium and a large Whyte R7 in the past. I always found the medium a little small (and I’m long legged relative to height being female)

Mark Grant

Acting Captain of The St Annes Jombulance.
You could go secondhand and get a better spec for less money.
I wouldn't normally tout my bikes on a thread like this but seeing as you're so close....
I have a Boardman Pro hybrid for sale.
Alloy frame, carbon fork, hydraulic disc brakes etc.
It may not be your size but you'd be welcome to have a look.

vickster

Legendary Member
again I am not knowledgable but I have been told that hybrid bikes are good for commuting or short journeys but not for hitting the road for 50km.

have I been advised wrongly?
Yes pretty much as long as the bike is comfortable for you. The Whytes are light with 700c wheels. Although the seat will add weight (unless they come off easily?)
50km is 2-3 hours, SW London is v flat, so on a 50km round trip, you’ll barely encounter a hill that might be considered steep.
Of course you may want a roadbike too in future (without child seat)

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Large should be fine :okay: I’m 5’10 (177?) and had a medium and a large Whyte R7 in the past. I always found the medium a little small (and I’m long legged relative to height being female)
I agree. I am also 5-10 and can't (well I could, but am not comfy on) ride an R7 in L - but unlike you both I have ickle legs and standover is an issue. Oddly though, my upper body doesn't feel cramped on a M, either.

OP
OP
D

dbd85

You could go secondhand and get a better spec for less money.
I wouldn't normally tout my bikes on a thread like this but seeing as you're so close....
I have a Boardman Pro hybrid for sale.
Alloy frame, carbon fork, hydraulic disc brakes etc.
It may not be your size but you'd be welcome to have a look.
View attachment 543236

thanks Mark

indeed my first thought was about to buy a second hand bike. However I realised that there is so much choice and that I have so little knowledge that I am not sure I would be able to buy second hand. Are there retailers that can “Guarantee” second hand bikes? Where would you normally look for ? Gumtree/eBay?

I looked at your bike and indeed it would be a step forward. What size is it? Would it work with a child seat? I have been told (probably wrongly again) that a carbon fibre fork is not good for a child seat

thanks

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The single chainring means you have just one control to worry about and for the type of riding I can see you’ll be doing it may suit you better.

The bike that Mark if offering could be ok but it’s more like the Fastroad you linked, really designed for a faster more aggressive style as the name suggests, which doesn’t sound like what you’re after.

If buying for the first time I’d buy new.

Mark Grant

Acting Captain of The St Annes Jombulance.
thanks Mark

indeed my first thought was about to buy a second hand bike. However I realised that there is so much choice and that I have so little knowledge that I am not sure I would be able to buy second hand. Are there retailers that can “Guarantee” second hand bikes? Where would you normally look for ? Gumtree/eBay?

I looked at your bike and indeed it would be a step forward. What size is it? Would it work with a child seat? I have been told (probably wrongly again) that a carbon fibre fork is not good for a child seat

thanks

It's a 19" frame, I'm about 5' 9" and ride it as pictured.
Although I consider my self an honest chap and I like to think I maintain all my bikes to a good standard, buying second hand is always a case of Caveat Emptor I'm afraid.
If you are unable to judge a bikes condition for yourself you will probably, as Cycleops said, be better off buying new.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I assume I will have to compromise unless I am ready to purchase two bikes 😂

Reminds me of the old saying: "There's a bike for every ride."

It's true, for every ride you do there is an ideal spec bike which would be different, even if only slightly, each time.

Thus there is an element of compromise for all of us when buying a bike.

In your case, you've already nailed down the type of bike best suited to your requirements and the models available on budget, so you don't really need much help from us lot.

I'm not sure how your long legs relate to sizing, but they may be good news in another respect.

A long upper leg is deemed to be good for pedal leverage.

I think it was the five times Tour de France winner Bernard Hinault who said his relatively long upper leg meant he was born with a natural advantage over his competitors.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
While we’re on the subject of legs don’t forget to set your saddle height so that your leg is slightly bent when seated and the pedal Is at six o clock.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I noticed that @johnblack has just posted a two year old Specialized Sirrus Sport size M in the For Sale section for £350. He's a CCer so you can buy with confidence. Might just suit if you want to save a few Bob. Northants is a bit of a treck from you though.

OP
OP
D

dbd85

I noticed that @johnblack has just posted a two year old Specialized Sirrus Sport size M in the For Sale section for £350. He's a CCer so you can buy with confidence. Might just suit if you want to save a few Bob. Northants is a bit of a treck from you though.

thank you! I do I get to the sale section??? 😅

Top Bottom