New bike on order

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mummy3monkeys

Now I have all my money saved, and my Evans vouchers ordered from Tesco (reason buying from Evans to help with cost), just ordered a bike in.
When I went into our newly opened store last week, they only had 4 ladies road bikes in, all out of my price range, but said they could order any bike in.
So I made a list of 3 possibilities, rang them to order in, can only order one. Fair enough, but if that one doesn't fit, feel right, I then have to make another order and another trip. That isn't easy with 3 kids and I want hubby to come with me.
So I chose the one I liked the look of, and hubby thought the spec was ok.
Now keeping everything crossed that it is the one, still just a teeny bit excited.

This is the one I have ordered:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/fuji/finest-23-2015-womens-road-bike-ec072758

SteCenturion

I am your Father
I don't know too much about womens specific bikes, being a male primate, but Fuji are a respected brand, so fingers crossed that it's perfect for you.

By coincidence I had been looking at an alternative road bike for my wife. Her Kuota Kom Evo being a bit too full on road race bike and found it twitchy so we looked at the disc brake model of the Fuji Finest, she was going to test ride it this weekend (they had a xs model in the shop at Thurrock Lakside) but they wont let you do a test ride in the rain. Should be a better bike for her as its longer wheelbase and more relaxed geometry should suit her , also you can get a pair of off-road 32mm tyres on it if needed. Only thing of concern was its really a cross bike with 28mm tyres,( shop assistant described it as a adventure bike) the higher BB height will higher the saddle height by a few mm compared to her present one and may put her off. It would be interesting to hear your views on it once you ride it.

OP
OP
Mummy3monkeys

Mummy3monkeys

Which Evans did you go to?
We have new Evans and the staff are lovely, without being pushy. We are really impressed with them.

Norwich is now my nearest, think it was Colchester previously :smile:

OP
OP
Mummy3monkeys

Mummy3monkeys

If it does have wider wheels, that would possibly make me more confident, less likely to fall off, as being a complete newbie to road bikes, the thought of the narrow wheels is slightly disconcerting. I have ridden nearly 800 miles on my mountain bike in the last 6 months, and not one incident. Hubby can have a puncture a week or more, and he has a forme. Mnd you, he has just put some winter tyres on which hopefully will improve things. It took the lbs 3 members of staff to put them on, not sure what will happen if he gets a puncture in the depths of the norfolk countryside :smile: The usual I should think, I get a phonecall to pick him up.

OP
OP
Mummy3monkeys

Mummy3monkeys

Ah well, slightly disappointed, due to a miscommunication on Evans behalf, my bike wasn't ready when I turned out very excited to test ride it. I had a short window, Andrew had to get back to work and I had to get back to pick the kids up from school. They did say they could build it, but I didn't want it rushed.
So now, going back on Sunday, by chance when I went in Thursday I just happened to speak to the manager, and he said I would be paid for my petrol for my return trip and discounted on any accessories I want to purchase. So even though I was disappointed, there is a good side to it. Just means getting the kids looked after again, thank goodness for fab in-laws, I just really want Andrew there with me.
So fingers crossed for Sunday now.

OP
OP
Mummy3monkeys

Mummy3monkeys

Oh my goodness, I love this bike, tyres are 25, there is only 1 bottle mount.
Had a little ride once I got back, to get my balance, did a couple of miles. Then went out and did 15 miles, so different to ride, but to use my daughters expression, it was pretty awesome. I had a very tight grip of the bars, and used the drops after about 10 miles. I did however brake loads going down even the tiniest hills, being slightly wobbly and terrified of getting up any speed.
Had a massive grin since I first started out, such an achievement

The bike my wife was going to try was the finest 1.1 disc, My wife is like you , on the brakes down the tiniest hill, she tried hypno therapy which has helped a fair bit. She may not try it at all now, as she has been a bad girl and not ridden a bike for weeks so we will wait and see if she REALLY wants to cycle again. Strange your bike came with 25mm they are specced Vittoria Zaffiro, 700 × 28, Not unusual for extra small frames to come with one bottle mount as frame supposedly too small for the rear one. I got round this by buying a free mount and side loading bottle,( pull the bottle out sideways not up, popular on MTB frames) http://www.halfords.com/cycling/acc...packs/lezyne-flow-side-load-bottle-cage-right and http://www.halfords.com/cycling/acc...ydration-packs/elite-water-bottle-cage-strips I hope you get out on it and enjoy it, unlike my missus.

Top Bottom