New bike or facelift.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

aerobrain

Über Member
So, I currently have a 2013 model Spesh Allez Elite, Ali frame and carbon fork. My options for this winter are:

1. Brand new bike
  2. Overhaul the Allez
I've already go a full carbon saddle, FSA carbon seat post and some Fulcrum Racing Quattro wheels. So I would look to get full Ultegra 11spd group set, new bar, new stem, bar tape and a stages power meter. Then potentially 1-2 years later transplant it all onto a new frame set.

Brand new bike option I'd obviously get a much better frame but to get the group set etc I'd be looking at £2.5k but no power meter. I know there are some much cheaper bikes than that out there but I like my frame enough to think if I'm going to upgrade it I'd only be happy with a decent carbon frame rather than lower spec. And I am a bit of a brand snob, although the Boardmans do appeal. Ultimately the full new bike option would mean sacrificing the power meter and I am a data junky ;-)

It's months away so only really placating my day dreaming but always interested in getting others opinions so I can ignore them and make the wrong decision :-)

Cheers

Lee

OP
OP
aerobrain

aerobrain

Über Member
Oh, forgot to say. I priced up the upgrades and looking at c.£1.5-1.6k so definitely a cheaper option!

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
There is no sensible answer to your question, it's all down to you. The question I would ask myself is, "What would make me happier and can I afford it?"

One thing to bear in mind is if you go for a new bike you'll still have a decent resale value on your current steed to take into account..

OP
OP
aerobrain

aerobrain

Über Member
There is no sensible answer to your question, it's all down to you. The question I would ask myself is, "What would make me happier and can I afford it?"

One thing to bear in mind is if you go for a new bike you'll still have a decent resale value on your current steed to take into account..

I'm not after sensible answers, I wouldn't be on the internet if I was lol :-)

This week I think the upgrades will make me happier.... Until I see a bike that makes me change my mind next week.

Mainly just interested to get ideas from people who have done either/both in the past really, like you say ultimately purely down to what will put the biggest smile on my face!

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
........ but your current bike is only 1 year old, and why did you buy it if it was so obviously not what you wanted? You are never going to be satisfied if you upgrade it, so Brand new bike is the answer.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
This is not the thread that I thought it was going to be from reading the title.

Bikes are cheaper than facelifts and it you go downhill fast enough the wind should iron out any little facial wrinkles you may have. Just not for long.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Your old bike isn't exactly old. Best option is a n+1 and keep the Allez

Do you race, if not, why get a power meter, it really isn't good use of money if you don't.

Top Bottom