New bike or new wheels? Advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fegs

After owning my crosslight pro 6 CX for several months now I can honestly say its the most fun I've had riding a bike, at first I hit the local trails in its CX trim but then got the itch to try some road riding and put a pair of 25mm slicks on, this has been a revelation! Two sportives and countless road rides later I'm loving this road riding mullarkey.

I'm now at the stage of thinking do I need a road bike because even though its only a 15-20 minute job I'm fed up with swapping tyres between cx and road.

Problem is I love the geometry of my CX bike and am finding it very comfortable on long rides, so do I need a dedicated road bike?

If not what about having a pair of wheels built for the road?

It's a disc brake bike so would need disc hubs on some nice light narrow rims, my local bike shop will build me some so I need advice/opinions please?

Do I get a road bike? Do I stick with what I've got and get a pair of more road orientated wheels?

Thanks

Cooper645

Depends what your willing to spend on wheels, that may well get you an entry level roadie possibly

Kies

I would go for the wheels personally. Stick a 105 cassette on and you won't have to do much to go from trails to roads.

OP
OP
F

Fegs

I would go for the wheels personally. Stick a 105 cassette on and you won't have to do much to go from trails to roads.

This is kinda my train of thought, I'm liking the actual bike that much it would be a shame not to ride it as much as possible

Cooper645

Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
While the minimum number of bikes one should own is three, the correct number is n+1, where n is the number of bikes currently owned. This equation may also be re-written as s-1, where s is the number of bikes owned that would result in separation from your partner.

Velominati

OP
OP
F

Fegs

Thanks for the replies , much appreciated

I'm away in the morning for two weeks so I'll give it some thought

Again thanks

e-rider

crappy member
After owning my crosslight pro 6 CX for several months now I can honestly say its the most fun I've had riding a bike, at first I hit the local trails in its CX trim but then got the itch to try some road riding and put a pair of 25mm slicks on, this has been a revelation! Two sportives and countless road rides later I'm loving this road riding mullarkey.

I'm now at the stage of thinking do I need a road bike because even though its only a 15-20 minute job I'm fed up with swapping tyres between cx and road.

Problem is I love the geometry of my CX bike and am finding it very comfortable on long rides, so do I need a dedicated road bike?

If not what about having a pair of wheels built for the road?

It's a disc brake bike so would need disc hubs on some nice light narrow rims, my local bike shop will build me some so I need advice/opinions please?

Do I get a road bike? Do I stick with what I've got and get a pair of more road orientated wheels?

Thanks

problems with getting new wheels are:
1. you are using discs
2. your cassette is very likely to be aligned slightly differently which means tweeking the gears every time you swap the wheels over

these would put me off that option
decent road bikes start at about £800 new, so if that's too much then you only have one choice anyway!

Top Bottom