New bike or upgrade the old one?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kies

I have the Elite and it has a Tiagra setup. Great bike, but i wouldn't upgrade from a basic Sirrus to the Elite. It sounds like your enjoying your riding, keep at it with some quality tyres, and then look at possibly a road bike as your N+1

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Without wishing to seem like a reckless advocate of rampant consumerism, new bikes are extremely good value compared to buying upgrade/replacement components for a bike you already have. I bought a road bike before Christmas for £650. Just buying the frame as a component would have cost £400.

Weeloubylou

Hiya, Willium38, have a wee look at the Hoy range from Evans...fantastic bikes for the money.

Martin p

Probably completely off here but I would keep the sirrus as a work horse and buy a road bike for a bit of extra speed eg btwin triban 3

Bought a Triban 3 ( red ) a couple of yrs ago, cracking bike especially for the money . Also just got a Eastway flat bar for commuting & a bit of light offer road ( again smashing bike )

Martin p

agred, upgrading the bike is pointless. A bit like buying a basic Ford Focus and paying to have electric windows and aircon installed.

Parts are much pricier as add ons than as a complete package with a bike

Not sure if agree there jay , upgraded wheels / tyres /chainset/chain & cassette on my Triban 3 for around £250, transformed the bike & shed about 1 k :-)

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Thanks for the replies/advice

The idea of two different bikes vs one slightly better one is appealing. i got it in my head i've only room for one, this is why i got fixed on the upgrade or sell route.
The advice about buying another bike with the money made me think about my storage methods.
At the moment the bike is stored on a wall mounted rack held by the frame. I could change this to simple wall mounted hooks and store the bike upright on the front wheel making space for two bikes with roughly the same footprint.

Looks like i will keep the Sirrus as it is. Continue saving the unspent petrol money and start looking for another bike.

Thanks Guys.
Most wall racks will take 2 bikes just put them head to toe (I could use a number here but don't want to offend).

Top Bottom