New bike recommendations for the overweight!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ok, I can’t do the gym or running, get so bored. So going back to my old love of cycling.

I am 50 years old , bang on 6 foot tall, but just over 17 stones in weight and from Northampton

I am looking for a road bike, guessing a bit on price of about £500, but can be flexible, but don’t want to waste.

any recommendations of bike or where to buy In the. Northampton area or mail order? Obviously has to be able to take my weight until I have lost a couple of stones!

any help much appreciated.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
They will all be able to take your weight, its not that much for a bike, just dont be jumping up and down curbs or riding down steps. What about the Voodo Limba from Halfords or one of their other Road bikes?

OP
OP
N

NorthamptonDarren

Thanks for the reply. I wasn’t going to consider Halfords, just because it’s Halfords.

my initial thought was to maybe stretch my budget a tad for a Trek Domane AL2. And the only reason for that was the last time I was riding, approx 10 years ago, it’s was Ona. Trek that was just over £500 back then.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
There's quite a nice Pinnacle Cobalt hybrid on Gumtree in Northampton, nearly new for £175. Large size so should fit you. Will handle your weight no probs:
https://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/...ampaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_android
Perfect for you for staters. You don't need the suspension fork but the extra weight should give you a work out. Pinnacle is an own brand of Evans and represent good value generally.
You won't loose weight by cycling alone, you need to combine it it with a controlled diet which suits you. Any other help you need just ask.
:welcome:to the forum.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Thanks @vickster

@NorthamptonDarren I am in Wellingborough and have a selection of used bikes all steel and sell below your budget.

Ranging from Bob Jackson mtb to Eddy Merckx road bike with others in between .

Feel free to message me or just reply all would have to be done with social distancing

6 foot and 17 stone isn't that heavy mucka, I 've a mate who was a liitle taller but was 19 stone and he managed just fine.
As mentioned it's wheels/spokes that take a hit with bigger lads.
By the way my pal was like an old tug boat just kept grinding out the miles and apart from the hills, I'm 5'7" and just over 11stone he was always there.

Depends if you ride like a kangaroo or a sack of potatoes. If the latter then some wider tyres will help protect the bike and esp wheels from peak load. Gravel/CX or whatever they are called these days put generous tyre clearance and disc brakes onto lighter weight frames.

Top Bottom