New Bike Required - Suggestions Please!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dhd.evans

Veteran
Ok, here's where people get to have fun. I have trashed my Dawes Hybrid in spectacular fashion and the repairs will cost me £250 for parts alone (eh, no. Take a hike there LBS).

So, in the market for a new steed.

I fancied a Triban 3 (white or red, the extra weight wasn't an issue really) but Decathlon tell me they are out of stock for the next 6 months (!).

I am hoping to move to a road bike of similar value, up to about £500. I commute 20 miles a day on a flat route, and when i was on my previous ride I had tri-bars fitted to get down and pedal hard. Being that I am new to the world of road bikes i'd be keen to get some advice about what constitutes good value and what other people are riding.

BSRU

A Human Being
At least it is a good time of year as many shops are starting to discount their 2013 stock.

vickster

Legendary Member
Triban 5 is £500 ish.
Also, Look at ash cycles, they can have some good deals on older model giants

vickster

Legendary Member
How tall are you? Tribans seem to come up small, so a 57 triban would be more like a 54. I am 5'9 and ride 54s

OP
OP
dhd.evans

dhd.evans

Veteran
@ Vickster - is the 54 comfortable? I'd be hoping to fit tri-bars on the front again so i can get down low. Been riding my dad's Boardman Performance in recent days, it's an 18" frame and feels tiny on me.

There's a Triban 3 54 frame sitting out in the bike rack. Tempted to jump on and see if it fits. The 51 i tried was far too small.

vickster

Legendary Member
I don't have a Triban. I have a Giant Avail (WSD version of the Defy) and a Pearson carbon. I wouldn't want anything bigger for sure. You need to compare the geometries as not all bikes are created or sized equally

My tummy doesn't allow an aero position :laugh:

Top Bottom