New Bike: Should I Accept Rubbing Disk Brake?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

autolycus

Über Member
After disk binding (and other) problems with a new Specialized and after much consideration i decided to opt for A Boardman Hybrid Team instead. Went to pick it up today and guess what - the front brake is binding. Guy reckoned disks were like that sometimes and it would 'bed-in'. Or he could give it a full bleed but then it would need a full bleed again after 6 weeks which would be chargeable, or......

In the end i said i'd call back for it tomorrow but i really don't think i should accept anything less than perfect. Anyone care to comment, please?

vickster

Legendary Member
Get rim brakes :smile:

I never had any issues with the hydraulic discs on my Whyte R7 in 1500 miles of riding other than the odd squeak when first braking in the wet. As I don't choose to ride in rain, and it was a bit small I sold it. All my bikes now just have v brakes

Profpointy

Legendary Member
the "will need to bleed the brakes again" thing sounds like BS. Bleeding the brakes is to remove air - if there's air in them they need bleeding now, and if there's more air in 'em in 6 weeks they'll need bleeding again. And, more to the point air in the brakes makes them not work as well and feel spongy - I can't quite see how it would make em rub.

Caveat on the above - all based on cars and motorbikez

Bedding in improves the grip, giving the pads more bite. I have never heard it a solution to binding.
Check the true-ness of your rotor and the alignment of your calipers.

A little rubbing initially is generally acceptable .When everything wears in it usually disappears presuming brakes are correctly centered etc. If they slow the wheel visibly when you spin it this is not right.
The brake bleeding is frankly rubbish as Profpointy pointed out and if it needed rebleeding in six weeks then I would suspect he system is faulty.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Disc rotors bend remarkably easily.

I suspect a tweak with the palm of a (skilled) hand would sort it.

OP
OP
autolycus

autolycus

Über Member
Thanks. I did notice that when my previous bike was binding, there was only a visible gap on oneside between the disk and the callipers. After a couple of attempts at fixing (and some insistence on my part) there was a (tiny) gap on both sides. So it seems to me that it is quite possible (as surely it should be) to adjust the brakes so they do not rub. Having said that, bending the disk slightly might help with graunching, but i don't think it's the answer to rubbing. Seems to me more caliper alignment but It's difficult to argue in a situation where my knowledge is limited. I do know a bit about cars and i would never accept a new car with rubbing brakes and the system is fundamentally the same isn't it?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
They are a doddle to sort and align yourself. A couple of Allen bolts and gently move. If the disc is slightly out of true, they are easy to bend by hand. And this is from someone who doesn't have discs myself, but both my kids bikes do. A few minutes to sort and they don't tend to do it again.

I prefer to sort little niggles myself.

Citius

The thread title says 'rubbing' - the post says 'binding' - there is a difference, so which is it?

OP
OP
autolycus

autolycus

Über Member
The thread title says 'rubbing' - the post says 'binding' - there is a difference, so which is it?

Sorry i tend to use them synonymously which i shouldn't. The outer (i think) pad rubs against the disk when you spin the wheel.

Citius

If it's only rubbing then there's no real issue. Loosen the caliper bolts and then pull on the brake lever while re-tightening the bolts. That might cure it.

Top Bottom