New bike sizing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've been out today looking at a giant defy 1 for my new bike, in one shop i was told i should fit a medium in another i was told m/l. Does it matter and what difference would it make if i ordered a larger or smaller frame please?

Peteaud

Veteran
I've been out today looking at a giant defy 1 for my new bike, in one shop i was told i should fit a medium in another i was told m/l. Does it matter and what difference would it make if i ordered a larger or smaller frame please?
You need to sit on one and try it.

My Defy is M/L and i am 6 foot tall BTW

OP
OP
themosquitoking
I went to three different shops and sat on a large and m/l defy 1 and a medium something else (but still a giant defy frame) the large felt too big but i couldn't discern any difference between the other two. Say just for arguments sake i am right in the middle of being the perfect size for a m or a m/l would there be any advantage, performance wise, in buying a larger frame over a smaller frame or vice versa?

OP
OP
themosquitoking
Could you go for the M/L and get them to give you a slightly shorter stem? 10mm could make all the difference.
What difference would there be though? I really couldn't tell any difference between the two so i'm going to base it purely on if there is a difference in performance factor, i guess if after i've been riding it a while it feels uncomfortable i can consider things like a longer or shorter stem.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
If you are buying the bike will they not give you a bike fit.

U

User6179

What difference would there be though? I really couldn't tell any difference between the two so i'm going to base it purely on if there is a difference in performance factor, i guess if after i've been riding it a while it feels uncomfortable i can consider things like a longer or shorter stem.

The bigger frame will give you less drop between seat and handlebars( Sportive geometry) but you will be stretched out more , the smaller frame will give you more drop between saddle and handlebar(racier) but you wont be stretched out as much.
Personally I go for the biggest frame that I can stand over but I have 30 inch(short) inside leg and long body ( 5ft 11")

OP
OP
themosquitoking
The bigger frame will give you less drop between seat and handlebars( Sportive geometry) but you will be stretched out more , the smaller frame will give you more drop between saddle and handlebar(racier) but you wont be stretched out as much.
Personally I go for the biggest frame that I can stand over but I have 30 inch(short) inside leg and long body ( 5ft 11")
Cheers for that, i usually prefer to go for longer relaxed rides and not worry about speed so maybe i'll go for the m/l.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Only a slight difference, I guess, but as you're an in between size, it could get rid of the danger of feeling overstretched on longer rides. Marginal though - I've found that the changing the angle of the handlebars so that the tops of the bars are horizontal with the levers higher can make a slightly overstretched position feel more relaxed. That said I only really use the drops as an afterthought when I'm fed up with a headwind or for those downhill whee! moments.

Top Bottom