New bike sizing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
If they aren't prepared to fit some pedals, that's pretty rubbish if you are seriously considering a 1k bike!

OP
OP
themosquitoking
If they aren't prepared to fit some pedals, that's pretty rubbish if you are seriously considering a 1k bike!
When i go in to order it i will make sure they know i am prepared to spend a serious amount of money, i'm buying new pedals and shoes at the same time too, so i'll make them bend over backwards for the cash.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Im with Vickster, they should be doing their very best to ensure you have a great experience and a bike you really love to ride. This means good service and time to ensure you end up with the right bike.
My LBS will let me ride bikes, change stems and bars while I'm trying a bike out.

When i go in to order it i will make sure they know i am prepared to spend a serious amount of money, i'm buying new pedals and shoes at the same time too, so i'll make them bend over backwards for the cash.

I would make them earn your custom before your go to order. If they are unwilling to do this by offering a great customer service then they are not worth ordering from imho

Kies

My lbs put the M and M/L on the turbo to try out. When i chose pedals & shoes (never used cleats before), they insisted i spend another 20 minutes on the turbo clipping in/out before letting me ride home.
If yours don't do this - insist or walk away!

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
1/2 an inch can be adjusted out imo. A shorter stem or the seat forward by a couple of mm. Try the medium and the m/l ...... Either way the Defy 1 is an excellent bike.
My ride buddy recently bought a low end carbon cube at £1250 with Tiagra ..... There is no difference in weight!!!!

No........ the saddle position should be set in relation to the pedals, nothing else.

PK99

Legendary Member
No........ the saddle position should be set in relation to the pedals, nothing else.

Yes and no!

The oft quoted:

The fore/aft seat adjustment is correct when a plumb line (any piece of string with a weight on the end) hanging from the bony protrusion just below your kneecap, bisects the pedal axle.

is a good "one size fits all" starting point, but rider size and style might call for adjustment from that start point

• Notes
  • As with the other adjustments, this is a safe starting position.
  • If you’re over 6-feet tall, ride long distances, climb a lot and pedal at about 90 rpm, you may prefer to be as much as 1 to 2 cm behind the pedal axles.
  • If you’re less than 6-feet tall, spin at 95 rpm or faster and like to sprint, you’ll probably prefer to be directly over the axles.

/QUOTE]

When i had a bike fit. i was told that a head down bum in the air racer/time trialist would have the seat further forward than a sit up touring rider - all to do with maximising biomechanical efficiency.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I did not say that you should adjust necessarily according to that guideline, but that your saddle should be located with regards to the pedals in mind, not with your reach to the bars in mind. Note even your quoted text refers to saddle location with regards the pedal only.

Time trial bike fitting is a different thing entirely. The reason you push the saddle forward on a time trial bike is to maintain an open hip angle when lowering the front end. Closing the hip angle limits your ability to output power, this is okay when the aerodynamic gains outweigh the loss of power however, there will come a point where the hip angle becomes so closed that aerodynamic benefit vs the loss of power has a negative net effect. The fitting is still essentially based around the pedal, rotating the body forward around the pedal.

OP
OP
themosquitoking
I would make them earn your custom before your go to order. If they are unwilling to do this by offering a great customer service then they are not worth ordering from imho

I went in and ordered the n+1 today. Had a wonderful experience and they spent nearly two hours with me talking through options and trying to get me what i wanted. Decided i was going for the medium after a further frame tryout only for them to discover they had none in stock and according to the giant website there was no date for when they would be available again. He then went into the stock room and found a s/m sized frame he said he'd set up for me to try, he spent 20 mins building the new bike out of the box for me to to try when we saw that the frame size sticker said m. Measured the frame up and it seems i have been a lucky little so and so today. Wallington cycles if anyone is interested, wholeheartedly recommended and also repairing a bike that must have been 50 years old with a brooks saddle that looked original and also still the best part of the bike.

Top Bottom