New Bike - TREK design fault ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianr

My missus has kindly stumped up £1000 for a new road bike for my b'day (I've already had a MTB for the past x amount of years but have recently got into duathlons etc. where a roadie would come in handy). I have been looking at the 2008 TREK 1.9 triple (not bad componentry for under a grand) but need advice. Basically, I popped into an Evans shop to give it a spin and it was fitted with toe-clips (which I have always used). When pedalling and turning at the same time I found there was no clearance between the front wheel and the toeclip and in fact they banged into each other and I nearly came off! I took a different TREK out (1.7 I think) and the same thing happened. The shop said toe-clips are dangerous and they don't recommend them plus don't pedal while turning round corners and to keep your feet in the low/high rest position!!! I've looked at various SPD alternatives but again the clearance between foot and front wheel appears to be zero. Apologies for being stupid but is it just me, or has anyone else had this problem ? Is it a design fault or what ? Or just bad advice in shop ? I've looked at a few other bikes and they don't appear to have this problem. And what's the best shoes to buy for this bike ? Should I get a diff. bike ???
Any advice greatly appreciated (being a newb to the road scene).
:biggrin:

Night Train

Maker of Things
Hiya, welcome to the forum.

This isn't something I'd even thought about checking so I have just been to have a look at my bike, a Marin Hawkhill MTB. I have toe clips fitted still and there is a good 2.5" between the toe and the front tyre at their closest point.

OP
OP
I

ianr

Thnx for welcome.
Cool furniture!
Beginning to think it may be me as I'm sure TREK would have tested this sort of thing ?

gavintc

Guru
ianr said:
The shop said toe-clips are dangerous and they don't recommend them

;)

Haha - Are Evans taking over from Halfords for delivering ridiculous cycling advice. Toe clips are not for all. Personally I prefer clipless. But, I would hesitate to call them dangerous.

k-dog

The toe clips have nothing to do with the toe overlap anyway - well maybe a few mm but nothing significant. It's purely a combination of the size of your feet and the gemoetry of the frame. Much more common with small frames obviously.

It's not really an issue on a geared frame - can be a pain on a fixed bike as you can't always get your foot out of the way for slow manoevering.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My Ribble is very tight and does suffer toe overlap - not a big issue though - only when you are moving at slow speed and don't move your foot.

I have a recumbent:

fahrt.jpg

On these as you can see from this promotional photo there is a problem with heel overlap!

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Toe-clip overlap is only a problem if you are an inexperienced cyclist... the smaller the frame the more likely you are to have it. It isn't a design fault, it is just a fact of life. I have it on all my frames and it has never caused me any problems.

Top Bottom