New bike with buckled wheel:-(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarkF

Guru
Just picked up my new bike:biggrin: I was all giddy with excitement, new shoes, shorts and top, even the bloody gale force winds could not dampen my giddiness. So, for the first time since September 6th when my bikes were nicked I straddled a cycle and set off.

10 seconds later, I stopped, got off the bike, lifted it up, spun the back wheel and saw the wibble wobble of a buckled wheel:angry: How difficult can that be to spot for a cycle shop?

I am getting fatter by the day, I've no bike again and the shop wants to repair the wheel and I want a new one, totally pissed off:angry:

Tynan

Veteran
name and shame right now

OP
OP
MarkF

MarkF

Guru
I'll give then the chance to sort it out first because I've had good service in the past and I've cadged mudguard nipples, brake cable crimps etc.

Even so, it's a bad bad mistake to make and what really pisses me off is it's my first ever new bike.:biggrin:

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
They should, if reputable replace the wheel with a properly built wheel as this one, probably a factory built was obviously not up to the job.
Maybe without prompting they will build the wheel up manually which is far better, as long as the wheel builder knows what they are doing, be far better and stronger.

frog

Bugger! :biggrin: But can see how it happens. You're probably the first person to actually sit on the bike and ride it. All the rest of the time it's just been wheeled and adjusted on a bike stand.

With the stuff they've given you they sound like a decent lot. If it were my shop I'd have given you a new wheel there and then and sorted out the buckled one later. The last thing you want is someone coming into the shop to pick up his new bike and leaving on the bus :biggrin:

Tynan

Veteran
I'd want my lbs to give me a new bike that's been checked, I can manage spinning the wheels and testing the brakes and gears ffs

that said almost every bike I've taken from a shop had something wrong with it

my seemingly very good LBS sold me a brand new £550 bike and the saddle worked lose three times in a month, to a volley of oaths every time, it turned out that the curvey cradle type piece the saddle sits in was stripped

can't say I was overly impressed by that episode

otherwise, loose wheels, loose steering, the lot really, all from supposedly reputable shops

OP
OP
MarkF

MarkF

Guru
frog said:
Bugger! :biggrin: But can see how it happens. You're probably the first person to actually sit on the bike and ride it. All the rest of the time it's just been wheeled and adjusted on a bike stand.

With the stuff they've given you they sound like a decent lot. If it were my shop I'd have given you a new wheel there and then and sorted out the buckled one later. The last thing you want is someone coming into the shop to pick up his new bike and leaving on the bus :biggrin:

Yes, they have been good in the past so that is why I don't want to name them (yet), everybody can make a mistake but that is a bad one. They don't stock the wheels, I had them order a particular bike for me.

bike wheels from new on or off the bike but not the (hand build) come as standard ie the standard in the cycling world is 4ml travel side to side. No thats not 2ml each side that is 4ml each side = 8ml travel????? and that is the standard why i dont know.
An order came into the shop one day and there was 5 wheels 4 bogstandard, 1 high end. the bogstandard ones where all over the place so i phoned up to ask why and that wes what i was told. Thinking it was a load of s**t i phoned up Specialized, Kona and Hope they all said that is the standard and its upto the bike shops to fix not them but a good bike mechanic should check the spocks when the bike is being bulit and tell the one buying the bike that it might happen as it needs to bed in and bring it back to be fixed the same as brake and gear cables need reseting.

In the shop that i was working in if a bike came back with a buckled wheel we would say sorry and fix it there and then 4/5 mins to retrue a wheel. It would be more then 4/5 mins to swop over the wheels as you need to change over the block and tyres then make shore the brakes and gears where working.

new bikes need to bed in in some way.

Top Bottom