New bike wonky wheel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gazza81

Über Member
Hi guys, just picked up a merida tfs 300 for 120, its been out side for a few months but everything works well except the front wheel, is it possible to straighten myself as i dont really want to spend any money on it

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Have a look on Youtube for videos on truing wheels, it seems daunting but is quite straightforward. Even if you get it hopelessly wrong you won't do any damage and bike shops charge about £10 - £25 to true it for you if you end up going to one.

tom73

Guru
simple LBS job to sort it out.
You can have a go at fixing it I thought it will no doubt end up at the shop after anyway.
So I just cut out the middle man and went to the shop. Cost me 5 quid but saved me a fortune on my sanity :laugh:

tom73

Guru
Hope you get a similarly philanthropic shop owner like @tom73 :laugh:.

I used the local community bike project not the high end shop across town. I save that for the big jobs.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Take the tyre, tube and rimtape off, and clean the wheel before visiting your LBS. That would make it easy for them to true it quite quickly, even while you wait if they're not too busy. But this offers you the opportunity to try your hand / learn and practise trueing a wheel. You'd need a(n inexpensive) spoke key and the best one (note: check nipple width) is:
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/tools/spokey-pro-red-for-euro-us-spokes/

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
Rather than start a new thread, does anyone know if it's easy and cheap enough to get a small dent out of a aluminium frame ?
It's a fairly old bike but I really like the frame style and I have a mate who paint sprays but I don't see the point in getting it painted if it has a dent in it that can't be repaired easily

si_c

Guru
I'd get it stripped and use a touch of automotive filler if it's just a dent - you can smooth it out and then respray over the top.

Top Bottom