New Bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hello
I'm in the market for a new bike, to replace a 20 year old MTB not used for a long time and now handed down to eldest son.
Won't be used for commuting but mainly road and a bit of path for general exercise.
Not sure whether to go for a hybrid (narrowed it down to Specialized Sirrus or Trek 7.3 FX Disc) or a cyclocross (Specialized Tricross or the same but with disc brakes)
Max spend is around £750
I know I will have to try them out and see what fits best bust just wondered if there were any thoughts?
Also, are disc brakes worth the extra cash (around £150 on the Tricross)?

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Cyclocross would be a more aggressive bike. You'd probably have a lower position, and dropped handlebars.
As an enthusiast, I'd always go for the cyclocross, as it will be more robust, more flexible and more usable for Sportives, Audaxes, muddy paths, commuting, shopping, touring. The hybrid is more of a compromise bike that is OK at all of the above, but not great.

wheres_my_beard

Über Member
+1 for Cyclocross. I'm so pleased with my purchase in January, after riding various bikes over the years, it far surpassed my expectations in terms of versatility and performance, off and on-road, for short commutes, and weekend breaks loaded up with panniers. Disc brakes are a real bonus if you can afford them too. I think they may become the new Hybrid IMHO.

OP
OP
M
Thanks. I actually tried out the Trek and the Tricross today and the latter was definately my preference. However, I decided that a further £150 for the disc version was a step too far.

wheres_my_beard

Über Member
Are the disc brakes an extra onto the £750 Tricross you've found?

If so, then Evans has the disc version at £750, so bang on your budget. Of course, you may be wanting to support your local bike shop, especially if you've had a test ride!

wheres_my_beard

Über Member
You'll do fine with the cantilever brakes. They've been going strong for years for a good reason. However, you do also get a slightly lower level Shimano groupset on the cheaper bike also - 2300 instead of Sora, but I don't really know if you could tell the difference if they are set up properly.

OP
OP
M
I have been looking at options for mudguards - does anyone have views on:

Zefal Swan/Croozer, or

Zefal Shield

...both of which would appear to be suitable for a Tricross?

Top Bottom