new bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bex2015

Hi all im looking at getting a new bike to start cycling with the family and maybe to work occasionally. I have a mountain bike and have always rode a mountain bike but would really like a sit up and beg ( I think they call it that) bike, I am no expert so would love some advice. I have looked at the dawes mojave and firefox classic I like both of them.
Thank

ScotiaLass

Guru
Hi :smile:
I ride a MTB, and always have, and bought a Dawes Mojave hybrid in July. I've ridden it 10 miles!
I just can't get used to the very different riding position (thats not to say you won't!) and the fact it's a different riding style, so I'm selling it on and getting another MTB which will take racks for my shopping trips :smile:

The Mojave is a lovely bike and if it's that type of bike you want, you won't go far wrong with it!

Ganymede

Veteran
Hi and welcome to Cyclechat!

I can see that a sit-up-and-beg or Dutch-style bike would be a really comfortable option. I used to ride my mum's when I was a teenager! The thing about a mountain bike (MTB) is the forward position with a lot of weight on your hands, less so than on a road bike (what we used to call a "racer"), and although I have a hybrid like this I do find it can strain my neck/shoulders a bit. You need to make sure the bike fits well.

Some of those Dutch-style bikes can be a bit heavy so it's good to try them out first. Good luck!

mythste

Veteran
I bought an old dutch style bike for my ladys Christmas present this year. A lot of them come with a real lack of gears in my opinion, especially as it can be difficult to "get the power down" in a sitting position. So perhaps make sure you've got a good idea of the routes you'll be riding and make sure you have appropriate gearing to deal with them!

OP
OP
B

bex2015

Hi thanks for replying to me. I will really be mainly using it for cycling with the kids around town and in the park and taking it on holidays in uk tbh. I work locally but it would only really be once I have done some cycling for a while I would consider using it for work, once I am a bit fitter lol

Top Bottom