New bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nebiker

Looking into new bike. Been looking at specialized diverge with shimano 105, or cannondale synapse carbon 105 with disc brakes. I got shimano 105 pedals and considering shimano rp3 shoes.
Want a bike for group rides and longer rides.

Slick

Guru
I have the Synapse but not carbon. I bought it in the sale as it was a bargain, :shy:it has an aluminium frame and is too small for me, no fancy brakes and no 105 just Claris fitted and I reckon the wheels are made of cheese. There is no rhyme or reason for it but I love it and sometimes I feel like I can do some of my best times on it despite having spent three times as much on other machines. It's very possible it's all in my mind, I honestly don't know but I reckon the cannonball is a belter.

Jimidh

Veteran
My wife has the Diverge and it’s a lovely bike. It’s too small for me so i’ve only ever ridden it up and down the street.

I also have a mate who does big gravel rides on a Diverge and loves it.

Drago

Legendary Member
Both have 105 geartrains, but both fall short of full rather short of having 105 group sets, so read the spec carefully. In your shoes I'd go ride them first, as having the shiny bits from a 105 group set wont make a lacklustre frame perform any better, so go see what they feel like on the road.

OP
OP
N

Nebiker

I have the Synapse but not carbon. I bought it in the sale as it was a bargain, :shy:it has an aluminium frame and is too small for me, no fancy brakes and no 105 just Claris fitted and I reckon the wheels are made of cheese. There is no rhyme or reason for it but I love it and sometimes I feel like I can do some of my best times on it despite having spent three times as much on other machines. It's very possible it's all in my mind, I honestly don't know but I reckon the cannonball is a belter.
Thanks for input!

OP
OP
N

Nebiker

My wife has the Diverge and it’s a lovely bike. It’s too small for me so i’ve only ever ridden it up and down the street.

I also have a mate who does big gravel rides on a Diverge and loves it.
What bike do you ride?

Jimidh

Veteran
604B0DB9-75EE-4DE8-8BCC-1E6E4D6A3B43.jpeg
What bike do you ride?

For off road type riding i usually ride a Trek Crocket with fitted with Surly Knard tyres - I love riding that bike as it’s fast when I want it to be but also great for easy spins too.

Not ideal though for rides over 3-4 hours as the race geometry on it is a bit harsh after a while.

Last edited:

Boon 51

Veteran
Check the Diverge has the newer wheels 142x 100 because I bought the Ultegra Diverge a few years back went to put some other wheels on and they wouldn't fit because the rear wheel was 137..

Last edited:
Top Bottom