New bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DRHysted

Guru
Right the cheapy starting showing signs of dieing, and when I was in hargroves I noticed they were doing 0% finance. So I went in for a new innertube and left after putting. Deposit down on an Allez.
It was ready for collection Tuesday, but due to being on a long run of day shifts I had to get someone else to collect it for me. So I've had it since late Wednesday.

Now this is completely different from the Viking giro, to start with when I pull the brake levers it stops. But the riding position feels soo different, it feels as if I'm sitting on the handlebars. On my first journey when I changed gear I stopped dead (accidentally pulled the brake as well) because the Viking had downtube shifters.

So I'm currently in that hellish time of getting used to how a new bike operates, getting the controls in the correct positions and learning gear ratios. My pace coming into work has dropped from 3:27 to 3:45, and going home from 3:05 to 3:20 (home is mostly downhill).
I keep doing little adjustments and reminding myself it will get better when I'm used to it.

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
what model you got and more imprtantly what colour :whistle: ? i got the entry level compact and love it! took me a few weeks to get used to it (only riding 2/3 days) but love it and it flies along! the only problem i have is stopping when going down hill but stopping 18 stone of bloke and bag will have that effect on a bike!

OP
OP
DRHysted

DRHysted

Guru
24 tripple, in black and charcoal.

I think my main problem is that I've only done one journey in daylight, as it pitch black when I'm cycling in (I leave home at 4:15, get back at 18:15, but that's the price I pay form cycling to work when doing 12hr shifts).

It's staying light until after 18:30 at the moment, so I might take the forest lanes home, to see if I've got the handlebar saddle crank positions better now.

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
i rode mine home (m520 pedals and trainers dont work well) and kept stopping every mile or so twiddling with the seat and getting used to the gears. now its all settled in and been properly indexed i love it! i got the black and white (with dashes of silver) compact, looks lovely and i was debating that triple but no really big hills near me!

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
just keep making adjustments till you feel right , its strange howon some bikes it can take ages whilst others take minutes .

you will get there

WorcesteRob

Über Member
I'm still getting used to my cannondale after 4 weeks and lots of fiddling (seat height, bar height, seat position etc.) not convinced all the adjustments are actually doing that much I think my body is just getting used to the new bike.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
When i got a new bike i adjustedthe set up to match my old bike for seat height,saddle setback, reach and handlebar drop so i can jump from one to the other comfortably.
The only problem on the nice bike is i keep trying to reach forthe non existant thumb button instead of pressing the lever....

OP
OP
DRHysted

DRHysted

Guru
When i got a new bike i adjustedthe set up to match my old bike for seat height,saddle setback, reach and handlebar drop so i can jump from one to the other comfortably.

I tried that because I was in a rush to set it up (leaving for work at 04:15 getting home at 18:15, doesn't leave alot of free time). But there appears to be alot of difference between the two so it didn't work. Came home the long way tonight (15miles) and only stopped twice to adjust the saddle, so I think I'm there (might move the saddle forward slightly so it's in the middle of the rails). I've got some time tomorrow as I move to nights (leave 16:15 home 06:15), so I'll give it a good look at, and take a photo so I can change my avatar.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I hear you, i work shifts as well.
Not as long but with 2 kids under 5 it can be 10 pm from getting up at 5 am before i get time to myself.... oh wait bed time lol.

Top Bottom