new bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ranger

OK past the first hurdle, the purse string holder says I can have a new bike:biggrin: for my 28 mile a day commute as my car is about to die and I will not replace it.

My real quandry is that I started looking at getting something built from scratch using my LBS own brand steel frame that would be exactly what I want, total cost approx £800. It will be something like an SCR but with a steel frame and carbon forks (I can't stand aluminium again), taking guards and a pannier rack but relatively quick.

The bloke in the LBS then took me to look at the Ridgeback Voyage, has nearly everything I want and is only £500 but is more of a tourer.

Total confusion now, do I go for the cheaper option and perhaps regret it or just say sod the expense and have the perfect bike? I think I know what answer I will get, but make me feel better about my decision:blush:

I think if i had to ride it 28 miles every day ... then i would spec my own bike

The extra £300 seems alot but if your not replacing the car then it's only 6 tanks of fuel or the Tax Disc and a set of tyres ... it wont take long for the bike to pay for itself which ever one you buy ?

Simon

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I think if you really know what you want for a bike that's an essential part of your life, then go the whole hog. Some thoughts...

You'll spend less on the Ridgeback, but will always wonder whether you made the right decision, especially on those bad days.
Can you shave some cost on the custom build? What've you specced? IMO drive trains for all-year use commuting don't need to be Dura Ace when Tiagra would do the job perfectly, when they wear, then upgrade.
Carbon fork, Is there a good cro-mo/531 fork option cheaper, they're usually more than good enough and last forever?
Is the dislike of aluminium due to comfort? It's not always true that steel is more comfortable than aluminium, but it is more durable. My all-Ally TCR1 is more comfortable than either my current 531 MTB on Fat tyres or my Columbus tubed steel Omega. Frame material is only part of the equation. Did you ride the ridgeback?

£800 buys a lot of bike similar to what you describe, Dawes, Hewit, Salsa Casserole, Condor Fratello (swoon) for price/spec comparisons.

Just some thoughts!

Top Bottom