New Boardman CX Team 2011

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StephenCX

Some great pics and information.

I've been running a Boardman CX now for a couple of years as my main commuting bike (all through winter each year). I had not ridden a bike for around 30 years and this was my first go at been back in the saddle. The fact is that this is a great bike and mine has taken a lot of abuse - especially the days when I don't fancy the full commute to work (20m each way) and have it chained up at an intermediary train station. Things I have done since buying the bike:

1. Reversed stem to raise the handle bars a little and later changing over to a new shorter stem (110mm v's 130mm).
2. Full set of mud guards fitted buy Halfords when I bought it.
3. Been through many sets of lights, finally settling on lights from Exposure - as they have been the only ones that seem to survive the british weather.
4. Swapped to a Set of Marathon tires (35mm) and later to a set of ultra Gator Skins (28mm) after the Marathons wore out. Never had a puncture with either :smile:
5. Had many problems changing up to the big ring. I had a new FD (Rival) fitted but that did not solve it. I have eventually changed the whole group set (except for crank) to a new Shimano Tiagra 10speed (12-30) that I pinched from the Mrs bike. This is the same as my weekend road bike and has proved to be a lot more reliable and much smoother changes - looks are still ok as it still has the FSA Crank and goes with the colour of the rear rack and mudguards.
6. Experimented with various different pedals - eventually settling on Crank Brothers Candy 1's - look great on the bike.
7. Learnt how to replace disc pads after the original pair wore down almost to the metal! I must admit though the brakes have never been great. I now have a Cube trail something bike with hydraulic brakes and they are just amazing in comparison.

I am now considering using the CX as a touring bike also (never done one before). I have done a a number of Sportives for the first time this year on my Specialized Secture (why did the purchase of one bike turn into several?) - and find that on rides of more than 45miles it is a lot more comfortable than the CX. The main difference is the ride on the specialized is a lot smoother (even with 28's on the CX) and I've also concluded the saddle is a lot more comfortable ... but I love the CX and think the stronger frame etc would be better on a tour (lightly loaded). I would apprecaite any thoughts and experiences from folks using a CX for 80m - 100m rides per day, for several days.

Thanks in advance

plutus

hi all,

I've recently bought a Boardman Hybrid Comp and, following the advices of this discussion the sks bluemel 45mm.
I've just installed them and I have a couple of questions:
-how did you cut the supports extra lenght? The idea would be use the provided plastic ends. Moreover, at the moment I use 700x28 tyres but I plan to use 700x32 for winter...will I have to pay attention to some points?
-I can not exactly center the mudguards on the tyre...if I loose the supports for some reasons the mudguard is completely shifted on one of the two sides and it's only by tightening the supports screws that I can partially centerthe MG...can't figure out if I'm wrong some part

Hi StevenCX

I only have 2 x bikes a Giant Rincon ( the first bike I bought) which I originally used for some touring, but obviously it was hard work. I bought a hardly used Boardman Cyclo Cross last year and have used it twice for touring , doing about 50 miles a day for 4 x days loaded up,( 7kg max)- I read that somewhere and manage to keep under that, although we do stay at b&b. I find the CX good as it can go off road on some quite bumpy trails without any problems. The frame is strong and feels very secure. The carbon forks are also better than steel forks at absorbing the bumps.I agree the large chainring is too much. I will change to probably a 48, your 30t seems a bit small. The original seat is too hard , I started using a Charge Spoon which was better but fortunately I was given a slightly broke in Brooks B17 which after breaking in further has proved ideal , especially on hot days. Hope this info is of help. By the way when you changed to the Shimano, what components did you change?

StephenCX

Hi Paulusa800

I am running Shimano Taigra 10speed - Front 50/34 ... Rear 12/30. I changed rear mech, Front FD, chain, and Shifters. Kept the FSA Crank - but the bottom bracket has recently worn out, wheel and Head Set bearings still fine.

burndust

Parts unknown...baby
another cx team owner here...thinkin of cganging the FD the microshift is just to unreliable...am i right in thinking a 105 would work...seen them on wiggle for 20 quid...also looking to change the wheel set to something lighter...the only thing i've seen thats suitable are the mavic open pros anyone else swapped the wheels out

Top Bottom