New Bob Dylan Album.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
“Rough and Rowdy Ways”. When an icon of popular music releases a new work its always an event, especially if it’s Bob. Has anyone heard this album, bought it or got any thoughts on it? Its received much critical acclaim and I think it’s rather good. He’s gone back to his roots albeit with a darker twist.
Here are a couple of tracks from it:

View: https://youtu.be/xqJNgO5Caf4

View: https://youtu.be/W-DG3g-ggdg

Here‘s a write up from the Beeb:
Bob Dylan: Will Gompertz reviews his first album of new songs in eight years ★★★★★ https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-53065380

Last edited:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Got a stonking five star review in the graun too.

As a longtime fan I pretty much gave up on the Bobster when he saw the light, but was reintroduced when a friend gave me Oh Mercy on CD, which proved to be fantastic - his best since Blood on the Tracks, IMHO. From a brief listen, this new one seems in that vein...

Last edited:

Dave7

Legendary Member
@swee'pea99 what do you mean when you say he "saw the light"?? (Serious question btw).
I saw him live in late 60s when he had changed from acoustic. A lot of people booed and walked out. I stayed but fully understood their reaction.
I have a few of his early stuff on LPs and still play them.
Didn't like his later stuff so hope this is good.

PK99

Legendary Member
Saw Dylan and Neil Young at Hyde Park last year.

NY was great.

Dylan was by a long way the worst gig I have ever been subjected to. Within minutes of him arriving on stage the crowd was thinning. We left after 30mins of being bored by incomprehensible reworkings of old tracks and a delivery that was identical for each song. Light show was static and stage dark between tracks as Dylan wandered around seemingly at random.

When we left folks were streaming out.

Last edited:

Dave7

Legendary Member
He became a born again Christian. Here endeth the talent.
Really.....I never knew that.
Edit
Just googled it. Apparently it only lasted 3 years. He has dabbled with other faiths since then.
Some of the words he spouted during those 3 years were so full of crap.

Last edited:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I’d rather listen to a recording on a continuous loop of Boris Johnson being rogered by a bull elephant.

Venod

Eh up
I am a fan, more of his songwriting and album output rather than his performances, I saw him at Sheffield Arena we had crap seats, he was mediocre, some of his songs are better when covered by others.
His early work had a big influence on my musical taste.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cycleops

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The last Dylan album I bought and the only one was Nashville Skyline which I loved , still do. I liked some of the early stuff but not enough to listen to it again and again.
When artists are getting to the end of their careers and also life they tend to go all introspective and come out with some weird dark stuff. I do like some of the tracks on this though.

Top Bottom