New Brommie -second outing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Blowers

Regular
Having recovered from bugs today I took Max out for a second short trip to the shops.
I am now a bit more used to the 6 gears having decided to ride in 2/4/6 by only adjusting the right gear and then flicking down the left when I need to drop down.
I have some problem with the telescopic seatpost. The saddle is slipping around from left to right and won't stay centred. It's not slipping down though. What do I need to tighten to stop the movement? It's the extended part that is moving around.
So I took Max around the local co-op having decided I might as well get laughed at sooner than later. No one batted an eye lid including the security guard whose foot I nearly run over twice.
I did not find the pushing the bike around that easy. I don't have the rear rack but I do have easy wheels. It seemed to be ok when I lifted the bike up a bit and ran only on the easy wheels but it was a bit awkward and a faff. I didn't like the sound it made when pushing without lifting -as if something caught in the spokes . Anyone else had that problem? Put some helicopter tape on the parts that are likely to be rubbed from the cables and getting s bit better with the fold but not quite there yet. Still can't decide between zefal Doobak or mirrycycle mirror but need something. Ideally both sides but h bar nearly hits the floor so guess only right side mirror will fit.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I have the same issue rolling mine. I'm with the London Brompton Club on Saturday and will ask their advice.
FF

roundthebendbromcycle

I have a zefal on my brompton, its an old one, so old I cant find it on a google image search, I suppose that counts for something, only flipped it out when I had me trailer on, bromptons do get more stable over time. good steed.

OP
OP
Blowers

Blowers

Regular
How do I stabilise the saddle please? The extended seatpost (Top part) seems to move with the saddle left and right. If I tighten the nut will I not be able to extend the saddle easily?

Fab Foodie

From
How do I stabilise the saddle please? The extended seatpost (Top part) seems to move with the saddle left and right. If I tighten the nut will I not be able to extend the saddle easily?
what I can see in the pictures below, the clamp on the extending part is pretty-much the same as the one on the bottom of the main post. Just a collar and a cam.

http://www.nycewheels.com/brompton-folding-bike-seat-post.html

Is the extended post not slipping down when riding?
If the extended post is rotating and/or slipping when riding, then simply open the clamp, tighten the bolt a tad and then re-close the clamp so that it's tighter.
Sure it's not the Saddle Pentaclip that is rotating? You could turn the saddle but get no seatpost slip when riding.
Photos might help!

OP
OP
Blowers

Blowers

Regular
Thanks FF
I phoned the dealer and was to,d to tighten a little 3 mm alan key nut on the front of the post. I don't think that did much. Coincidentally I did what you said and tightened the bolt and it seems to be better- it has not slipped down by the way - just swivelled ( I.e give it a nudge with the hand or turn to look behind and it moved). I was concerned with tightening the bolt as I thought it may make it difficult to tighten the clamp properly.
Hope it's all sorted now but thanks very much again for the advice.

Sara_H

Guru
Having recovered from bugs today I took Max out for a second short trip to the shops.
I am now a bit more used to the 6 gears having decided to ride in 2/4/6 by only adjusting the right gear and then flicking down the left when I need to drop down.
I have some problem with the telescopic seatpost. The saddle is slipping around from left to right and won't stay centred. It's not slipping down though. What do I need to tighten to stop the movement? It's the extended part that is moving around.
So I took Max around the local co-op having decided I might as well get laughed at sooner than later. No one batted an eye lid including the security guard whose foot I nearly run over twice.
I did not find the pushing the bike around that easy. I don't have the rear rack but I do have easy wheels. It seemed to be ok when I lifted the bike up a bit and ran only on the easy wheels but it was a bit awkward and a faff. I didn't like the sound it made when pushing without lifting -as if something caught in the spokes . Anyone else had that problem? Put some helicopter tape on the parts that are likely to be rubbed from the cables and getting s bit better with the fold but not quite there yet. Still can't decide between zefal Doobak or mirrycycle mirror but need something. Ideally both sides but h bar nearly hits the floor so guess only right side mirror will fit.
I had a noise like spokes twanging wjen I rolled it folded when I first got mine, which was an M6L without easy wheels.
I've since had eazywheels and rack added and the noise has disappeared, though I don't know which alteration made it disappear!

OP
OP
Blowers

Blowers

Regular
Interesting Sarah that's exactly what I had with my H6l plus easy wheels .twanging spokes. hopefully Fab Foodie will advise findings from the London Brompton Club

Fab Foodie

Interesting Sarah that's exactly what I had with my H6l plus easy wheels .twanging spokes. hopefully Fab Foodie will advise findings from the London Brompton Club
The advice was ..... don't wheel an L type. The twanging is common. Seems the only wheeling option is with the rack :-(

Top Bottom