New Canyon - Ksyrium Elite versus Ksyrium SLR

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ClaudeH

Regular
Well the momentous day has arrived and the 2013 Canyons are now on their website. I had already decided to buy one and am torn between two models: the Ultimate CF SLX 8.0 and the 9.0.

The only difference between these two bikes is that the 8.0 has the Ksyrium Elite wheels whilst the 9.0 has the SLR WTS wheels. Of course there is also the matter of £490.

It appears that the typical price difference for the wheels alone should be about £600 so on that basis going up to the 9.0 is "good value" (a very relative term) but I am more interested in anyone's experience of these wheels.

Claude

The 9.0 also has Campag Record groupset as opposed to the 8.0's Dura ace. Weight wise they both are similar (6.5kg for Campy and 6.6kg for Dura ace). Very light bike indeed.

So which groupset do you prefer is the key question?

In fact i want one. I am away to plant a ten pound note in the back garden............

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Been waiting for the new Canyons - first impressions disappointing - prices much higher (even accounting for end of year discounting). I'm interested in the Ultimate AL9 - which appears to be getting on for £200 more than the 2012 version. (In spite of Euro being weaker in recent times, too). Not sure I like the paint jobs either - getting too fiddly and fussy, and a selling point for me last year was the GP4000s tyres - now Mavics. Saddle has changed too. The Di2 version has leapt up to over £2K, too. I would have bought a 2012, but by the time I had made my mind up none were available in my size. Still good value, but not quite as desirable for me.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
The wheels feature different hubs and spokes.
The stainless steel spokes and will transfer less road buzz, there is also a minor weight difference of 85g between the wheel sets.
The elites are best vfm but im not a fan of either wheel.

OP
OP
C

ClaudeH

Regular
The 9.0 also has Campag Record groupset as opposed to the 8.0's Dura ace. Weight wise they both are similar (6.5kg for Campy and 6.6kg for Dura ace). Very light bike indeed.

So which groupset do you prefer is the key question?

In fact i want one. I am away to plant a ten pound note in the back garden............

There are quite a few 9s. Of the mechanicals, the 9 SL has SRAM red, the 9 Pro has Record and the 9 has Dura Ace. All of these have the SLR wheels. The 8 has Dura Ace and the Elites. There is also the 8 ES which has Dura Ace, Elites the new "sprung" seatpost, gel handlebar tape and 25mm tyres. This is a "comfort option" and seems quite interesting.

Claude

Rando

Veteran
Been waiting for the new Canyons - first impressions disappointing - prices much higher (even accounting for end of year discounting). I'm interested in the Ultimate AL9 - which appears to be getting on for £200 more than the 2012 version. (In spite of Euro being weaker in recent times, too). Not sure I like the paint jobs either - getting too fiddly and fussy, and a selling point for me last year was the GP4000s tyres - now Mavics. Saddle has changed too. The Di2 version has leapt up to over £2K, too. I would have bought a 2012, but by the time I had made my mind up none were available in my size. Still good value, but not quite as desirable for me.
I was also deliberating the AL 9.0 DI2 but not sure now at the new increased price. They had some special Swiss versions on the site but they have also disappeared. Can't believe they have all sold.
I do like the AL 9.0 ES and at £1500 seems reasonable although it's only mechanical ultegra. Just trying to convince myself that the Alu frame will be as good as a carbon bike. All the reviews of Canyon AL's seem to rate it.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Personally, I agree with the statements about them not being as good value for money as they once were, they are even running last years Di2 groupset rather than the newest release. There is nothing at all wrong with the old Di2 but on a 2013 fully built bike I would expect the very latest version.
The 2012 Di2 has also been heavily discounted now in component form.
I would have thought you could get discounted decent 2012 bike from one of the big manufacturers with a similar spec for the same price, and at least get localised support from a dealer

Personally, I agree with the statements about them not being as good value for money as they once were, they are even running last years Di2 groupset rather than the newest release. There is nothing at all wrong with the old Di2 but on a 2013 fully built bike I would expect the very latest version.
The 2012 Di2 has also been heavily discounted now in component form.
I would have thought you could get discounted decent 2012 bike from one of the big manufacturers with a similar spec for the same price, and at least get localised support from a dealer
TBH i think the prices will go north a little further. I think Canyon are becoming very respected and sought after from all over the globe. Only problem is this will inevitably raise prices slightly which is not great news for buyers outside Germany as the original appeal was VFM.
If they end up being the same spec per £ as the other top brands then buying local would be my preference.
When Canyon has a sale on they are hard to beat for value considering the standard of bike you get for your ££. Though they don't seem to have any 2012 bikes left.

There are quite a few 9s. Of the mechanicals, the 9 SL has SRAM red, the 9 Pro has Record and the 9 has Dura Ace. All of these have the SLR wheels. The 8 has Dura Ace and the Elites. There is also the 8 ES which has Dura Ace, Elites the new "sprung" seatpost, gel handlebar tape and 25mm tyres. This is a "comfort option" and seems quite interesting.

Claude
ALL great options and if the ££ doesn't matter too much then you are laughing. I personally prefer Campag so would grab the Record groupo. Just need my new tree to start growing out the back. :bravo:

OP
OP
C

ClaudeH

Regular
ALL great options and if the ££ doesn't matter too much then you are laughing. I personally prefer Campag so would grab the Record groupo. Just need my new tree to start growing out the back. :bravo:

Is Record the Campag equivalent of Dura Ace or Ultegra? I thought Super Record was top of the Campag tree?

Is Record the Campag equivalent of Dura Ace or Ultegra? I thought Super Record was top of the Campag tree?
Record is lighter than Dura ace by 130grams or so. Super record is lighter still by 100grams over Record and 230 under Dura ace. I don't think there is a super record option in the Canyon range. Could be wrong. Certainly not at the same price.

Top Bottom