New car needed...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Night Train

Maker of Things
Get a Skoda, same as the Golf/Passat/A4 but cheaper for more car.

I have a Skoda Octavia TDi estate 2001 from new. It is the Elegance version with loads of toys. It has done 150k miles and, apart form a stint on B100 veg oil, it has been relatively trouble free and an excellent work horse and family car.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
swee said:
http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/[/url]

There used to be a car trader round these parts called 'Honest John'. His name was Stan:wacko:

Mr Pig

Night Train said:
Get a Skoda

The people I know who have Skoda cars have not had any bother with them, they seem to be pretty solid cars. I think the Passat's a bit of a truck but well bolted together.

I'm struggling to think of anyone I know who has or has had a Renault who has 'not' had problems with it! Mainly the electrics, they are rubbish. I might type out some of the issues people have had, just that it would take me a while!

Always check out running costs too. Typically, the newer the design of car the more it'll cost for parts. Most new cars now have a dual-mass clutch/flywheel which will cost between £1'000 and £2'000 to replace. Not only are they a lot more expensive than older-style clutches but they don't last as long, I've heard reports of them giving up after 30K miles!

Night Train

Maker of Things
Mr Pig said:
The people I know who have Skoda cars have not had any bother with them, they seem to be pretty solid cars.

Always check out running costs too. Typically, the newer the design of car the more it'll cost for parts. Most new cars now have a dual-mass clutch/flywheel which will cost between £1'000 and £2'000 to replace. Not only are they a lot more expensive than older-style clutches but they don't last as long, I've heard reports of them giving up after 30K miles!
The only major work on mine has been timing belt replacement and new front brake discs. I have my timing belt done at 50k miles instead of the recommended 60k and the brake discs were changed at 80k miles. I will need a repair on the air con pulley but that will wait til the next timing belt as the labour will be less.
I am still on the original clutch despite lots of trailer pulling.

ACS

Legendary Member
I have recently purchased a Focus, great car but anonymous we have 4 in our cul-de-sac alone. In retrospect I should have purchased the Octaiva (RS) when I had the chance. Just too sensible me.

Top Bottom