New car needed...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

got-to-get-fit

I know, i know .....they are instruments of the devil....blah blah

But we really need a new car.

We are looking to spend about 9 grand.

I like the look of Dodge Calibre ....not to everyones taste i know but hey.
I could get one for about 9 grand 07 reg with 15000 on the clock.
2 litre diesel lots of toys to play with inside.

Alternatively i could get an 06 reg VW golf TDi with about 30000 on the clock and no toys inside ....but reliable, good residual value etc etc

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Toyota Auris - nearly new - £9k easy. Couple of year old Avensis ?

No idea what the reliability is like of the Dodge.

OP
OP
got-to-get-fit

got-to-get-fit

fossyant said:
Toyota Auris - nearly new - £9k easy. Couple of year old Avensis ?

No idea what the reliability is like of the Dodge.

HMMMMMM ...just had a look at one on a website ....not bad. Best price is just shy of 10grand (2nd hand) though as they have not been out long. May be a bit too much money.

Mr Pig

We've just bought an 07 Mazda 6 TS2 for £7'250 with 15K miles and in mint condition. As far as refinement, reliability and involvement are concerned the Mazda will wipe the floor with the Dodge. They have a first-class reputation for build quality and durability and have sharp handling.

If you don't fancy that I'd still buy Japanese. Dodge, the clue is in the name!

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Definitely your second guess - Golf TDi. Excellent piece of kit, great drive, great reliability, great residuals.

jack the lad

Get a big Merc saloon. Boot is big enough for 2 bikes. Prices drop like a stone until 6 or 7 years old and then very little after that. How about £9K for a 53 reg E500 (5 litre V8) 44K miles now on Autotrader. Would have cost over £50K new and still has another 150K miles of life at least. Merc Diesels at that price have about 60K miles and do around 40mpg depending on engine. Add another 20K miles for an estate. Fabulous cars, especially good at wafting gently around in a leather armchair in near silence. Masses of cred for your kids. Well worth the expense (but not silly costs) if you cover a lot of miles. Won't cost much more to run than a mundane hatchback (and last forever) if you don't cover many miles.

The build quality on Dodge/Chrysler has to be seen to be believed - the residuals reflect this - avoid at all costs.

If you want VW mechanicals with more toys then go for a Skoda Octavia. Golf floorplan and the pick of VAG group engines (1.9 TDI is the one to go for).

Mr Pig

cheadle hulme said:
The build quality on Dodge/Chrysler has to be seen to be believed

Seeing a pattern here?

Do not buy a Dodge.
Also, do not buy a car built by the French or Italians.
I would also say do not buy a car built by the British but they were so crap at it that they passed a law to stop them! *

* Foreign cars assembled in this country do not count as workers are forced to do only as required, like rats in a maze...

Top Bottom