Council tax increase - maths boffin needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

presta

Guru
The bumf that came with ours explained that the social care precept is set at 2% LEVY based on the last year ave council tax+precept.
2% of what exactly?

£201.28 is 2% of £10,064, where is the £10,064? It certainly isn't my council tax, this year or last.

teeonethousand

2% of what exactly?

£201.28 is 2% of £10,064, where is the £10,064? It certainly isn't my council tax, this year or last.

Just re read it...it's 2% of last year's (average tax+precept) calculated and that number is then added to last year's precept to make this year's. Who on earth dreamed that up

Drago

Legendary Member
Mine has gone down!

Other side of the parish a large estate has been built, about a mile from me. Suddenly the parish income from the council tax precept has ballooned. They've been honest and essentially stated the income is vastly in excess of their needs to run the parish council, and have significantly reduced the parish council precept accordingly. So while the district council and PFCC (the PFCC who tried appointing his girlfriend with zero relevant experience to run the fire service) have bent me over intent on whipping my pants down the reduction in the parish precept just outweighs this. As such, mine has reduced by about twenty sovs overall, now at £2702 for Band E.

It effs me off a bit as we bought the new house (4/5 bed detached 3 storey townhouse) so Mini D can have the top floor, a bedroom, living room and bathroom all of her own. She's autistic and unlikely to ever be able to live on her own so as a parent I've done the decent thing and made provision for her to be able to stay with us as an adult, and my reward is to have that necessity used as a yardstick with which to tax me even harder. If I'd stayed where we were and kept my cash in the bank, or spent it all on crack cocaine, I'd be taxed £800 less despite being £170,000 wealthier. Alas, the answer to that is a discussion for somewhere else.

Last edited:

Mike_P

Guru
Mines "only" gone up 3.7% due to North Yorkshire becoming an unitary authority as Harrogate Borough had the highest council tax last year of the seven merged district councils. The average increase is quoted as 4.99% but for those living in Hambleton (Stokesley, Northallerton, Thirsk, Easingwold) its a whopping 7.71% increase.
Council itself up 1.8%
Social care up 2%
Fire & Rescue up 3%
Police & Crime up 4%
Parish Council up 19.2%
The covering letter says 3.6% but I suppose that excludes the Parish.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Mine has gone down!

Other side of the parish a large estate has been built, about a mile from me. Suddenly the parish income from the council tax precept has ballooned. They've been honest and essentially stated the income is vastly in excess of their needs to run the parish council, and have significantly reduced the parish council precept accordingly.
I'm not sure what area a parish covers in a council tax contest - afaik we don't have similar in Scotland, but if you now have more residents, should the council tax not have gone up?
Because of the need of more schools, refuse collection, etc.?

Mike_P

Guru
I'm not sure what area a parish covers in a council tax contest - afaik we don't have similar in Scotland, but if you now have more residents, should the council tax not have gone up?
Because of the need of more schools, refuse collection, etc.?

Parish councils do not deal with major services so it could be for example matters such as the cost of keeping tidy a piece of land suddenly has a whole load more contributors and hence a lesser level of tax on each taxpayer.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
There is no way that the Council Tax is based solely on the components published because none of the component increases are as much as the total of 4.7%. The Council is hiding some components, probably their very generous remuneration packages and their reckless speculation losses on the financial markets.
They tend not to draw attention to those in their cosy fliers to the citizens.

OP
OP
lazybloke

lazybloke

Considering a new username
There is no way that the Council Tax is based solely on the components published because none of the component increases are as much as the total of 4.7%. The Council is hiding some components, probably their very generous remuneration packages and their reckless speculation losses on the financial markets.
They tend not to draw attention to those in their cosy fliers to the citizens.

On my bill, the 4 component prices do add up the total, so no components are missing/hidden.
My only complaint is the percentage calculation was inconsistent and wrong.

Actually I've got a second complaint: Band E is daylight robbery consdering this is a tiny 3bed semi!

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
On my bill, the 4 component prices do add up the total, so no components are missing/hidden.
My only complaint is the percentage calculation was inconsistent and wrong.

Actually I've got a second complaint: Band E is daylight robbery consdering this is a tiny 3bed semi!

You're right. My post was claptrap, probably induced by having four good friends over for supper last night.:whistle:

Top Bottom