New Car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ratty2k

Ohh, where did you get the inside rack for the bikes?
And yes, plenty of room for the bikes!!! May just have to get a camping stove as well- the smell of bacon butties and a cup of coffe while out on the trail!!!!!!!

bonj2

wiggle don't sell the one i've got which is this.

Like Arch said earlier, buy something old. An ancient Volvo 240 estate will set you back a few hundred quid and be enormously reliable for ever (at least, that's been my experience). They're a bit different, even stylish in a boxy eighties kind of way, fast, comfortable and very roomy. Only about 35 to the gallon, but then you won't lose half its value in depreciation in the first five minutes like you do with a new car.

twowheelsgood

Old audi 100/early A6 diesel estate. Even more reliable, add in fuel economy not much worse than a modern supermini, modern, spacious, comfortable interior. Cannot rust as the body is galvanised. Simple, robust engineering (basically just a big VW golf). Unless you want sportscar handling, I can't see a downside of these cars. It even has a fairly classy image for such an old car and 4WD is an option should you need it without an entirely pointless and stupid SUV attached to it. If something expensive breaks, so what, throw it away and get another, your guaranteed not to lose as much as a fairly crappy new car would anyway.

I've owned several Audi 100s including one that cost £800 and ran for nearly 6 years for the cost of a £12 wheel bearing. I was almost praying for it to fail the MOT in the end just so I had a reason to replace it. But no, give or take the odd lightbulb... I finally sold it for £500 when I left the country.

It's one of only two cars I've owned, I wish I still had. (the other was a Rover P6 3500, which is an amazing drive for a now 45 year old design - and I've owned a fair few BMWs, Mercedes, Audis etc.).

ratty2k

bonj said:
wiggle don't sell the one i've got which is this.

Cheers!! I reckon I'd be able to knock something similar up myself. Well works quiet these days! They can pay for the material and the effort for machining and welding.

The mechanic at the LBS says he has some old quick release hubs I can have- so theres the axles and clamps sorted. Just need some ally box and brackets making. YEY!!!

Top Bottom