New Carlton build - Catalina or Constellation all chrome.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
Well, the machine arrived today, not the best packing I have seen, but the machine was padded in the right places and is in good condition.

It will require a top to toe refurbishment, although I'll be saving the Acrylichrome finish. Getting some of the insulting tape which seems to be abound may be more of an issue.

I still can't quite make up my mind as to the model, I though it may be a Catalina Chrome - it still could be, possibly a Corsa Strada - I have seen them with this finish. The more I look at it now, it could well be another Constellation. The frame looks well well finished - see images. The rear stays and forks look well finished, so i think its 531. It has cycle drop outs and has an H prefix on the frame number, so c1965. Frame size is 22 or 22-1/2". It has a 48-tooth Williams chain set - in great condition, and is currently driving a non-original Simplex Prestige rear mech. The frame has a braze on for the gear changer, so I suspect something a bit better was originally fitted. Brakes are Weinmann 730s and appear sound, new block will be fitted.

Cappella lugs - confirmed by the seat tube decal (other decals to be replaced), no markings showing the usual Catalina Olympic rings motif. The old alloy guards will be going as I have a spare pair of rather fetching red ones stored away. New bar tape (cloth) will be red with red bar end plugs, also a red Blumels pump to finish, along with new white ribbed cables. Curiously the cycle has come with two original alloy pumps. Saddle is restorable and is a Brooks B15 Champion narrow. Wheels are true, but will require a bit of cleaning, both have attractive Resilion large flange hubs. Both tyres are shot! these will be replaced with World Tours and new tubes. The rear wheel has a pretty close ration 5-speed block with a fixed sprocket on the other side. I will also be fitting a Carradice saddle bag and possibly a different rear mech and front change lever.

All in all Im pretty happy with the bike, it will take a bit of work, but it should look pretty eye catching once I have finished with it. More soon, but here are a few images as unwrapped today.

P6111069_zps26350926.jpg

P6111087_zps918b932f.jpg

P6111090_zpsfdeeef36.jpg

P6111092_zps6cc010bc.jpg

P6111093_zps4d7193f5.jpg

P6111086_zps46e43a8a.jpg

P6111084_zps1c2b292d.jpg

P6111082_zps54a501ff.jpg

P6111081_zps4d46a1d5.jpg

P6111079_zpsbce9ba20.jpg

P6111076_zps9512f0ac.jpg

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@Spokesmann looks like you are going to be busy

OP
OP
Spokesmann

Spokesmann

Stripped the rest of the components of the frame today, just the forks to remove. Started to do an initial clean of components and the frame itself. Taken the perished tyres off - they had rubber flaking off them they were so gone. Will need new rim tape though. Both wheels are true, the front one having the faintest 'wobble' in it. I have also started the B15 saddle on a course of Proofide each day to get the leather in a presentable and usable condition before tensioning up again. Here are a few pictures form today...

Some of my components to choose from if necessary...
P6131160_zps8df6a365.jpg

Under the yellowed oil/grime the Williams Chainset in in top condition. Needs just one new cotter pin.
P6131161_zps4da28bff.jpg

Bits and bobs, with the BB bearings soaking in meths...
P6131162_zps2f05d7fb.jpg

The BB area has a lot of paint loss...
P6131163_zpsdccb8794.jpg

Im keeping the paint as is, its a shame the Acryllichrome finish was not more durable...

The saddle leather is starting to respond to some intense Proofide treatment...
P6131164_zpsc0598f1c.jpg

John the Canuck

..a long way from somewhere called Home..
fun unwrapping a 'new bike'..................:smile:

are you going to do a full restoration with a respray/decals

--------------------------

whoops - missed this
''Im keeping the paint as is''

anyway - lotsa piccys.!

OP
OP
Spokesmann

Spokesmann

fun unwrapping a 'new bike'..................:smile:

are you going to do a full restoration with a respray/decals

--------------------------

whoops - missed this
''Im keeping the paint as is''

anyway - lotsa piccys.!

No, Im keeping the paint but with added decals and other graphics.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Spokesmann

Spokesmann

Took for fork off today. Steering took one hell of an effort to loosen, in the end I resorted to strong arm tactics with the aid of vice and 30mm spanner. Clearly not been removed since the bike was built. Cleaned the frame down now so i can assess what I can do for it. Will no doubt be using a lot of aluminium foil on the chrome....

Some pics for them thats interested.

P6141201_zpscd0300db.jpg

P6141198_zps271eca40.jpg

The bottom bracket shell is stamped Nervex, no doubt alluding to the lug pattern used. The shell also has a grease nipple.

P6141196_zps41d93e6f.jpg

P6141195_zpsc0d035a7.jpg

Components suitably degreased, ready for further cleaning or polishing.
P6141193_zpsd3923427.jpg

Capella lugs on the headstock, very small frames used a cut down version of these.
P6141190_zpsd8597b31.jpg

This bugger shifted in the end. Wedging the forks in a vice and heaving on the lock nut did the trick...
P6141189_zpsa85ea877.jpg

More soon.

OP
OP
Spokesmann

Spokesmann

busy man ........................................................................................................:sun:...light at end of tunnel...
Still quite a way to go yet. I haven't even looked at the wheels in any
great depth, apart from removing two very old perished and crusty tyres.

OP
OP
Spokesmann

Spokesmann

Today made some progress on smaller details, made a start on cleaning the Milremo sprocket, a 22 tooth affair - going to be fierce on Plymouth's hilly terrain.
Also my decals arrived from H Lloyd. I also made a start on cleaning the rear wheel and freshening up the chrome (or lack of it) on the front forks. Saddle is responding well to plenty of proofed. Undercarriage is cleaned and re-assembled. Brakes loosely put back together.

P6191267_zps2552e682.jpg

The pump is Blumels NOS.

P6191266_zpscec091f0.jpg

Ive dug out an old Huret lever which will fit on the brazed on gear fitting. This will control a period Huret Allvit rear mech - still to arrive.

P6191262_zps14fd6c75.jpg

P6191261_zpsa406ec86.jpg

P6191259_zpscbd770bc.jpg

P6191258_zps8892ce0f.jpg

P6191257_zpsd944a855.jpg

P6191255_zps576d2355.jpg

Top Bottom