New cassette on Mavic hub

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yellow v2

I have recently bought a set of new Mavic Aksium's and new Ultegra 9 speed cassette. However when I fit the cassette there is a small amount of play, the last sprocket is about flush with the hub, it is seems that a thin washer or shim may be required about 1mm thick. Can anyone offer advice to whether this is usual? It is not the spacer for 7/8 speed that is needed it is much too thick!

yenrod

Yeah i think you need a spacer try searching on the net for the importer or try a good bike shop for advice ;)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My Aksiums came without a spacer - had fallen out of the box. Had a spare spacer from some old 7 speed blocks - ask your local bike shop to see if they have anything - about 1mm - the spacer goes on first - i.e. next to the spokes.

OP
OP
Y

yellow v2

Thanks guys, maybe the spacer had fallen out of mine aswell, I shall go to bikeshop tomorrow to try and get one. I have just found an article in an old cycling plus mag which does say a spacer may be req. on Mavic hubs for Shimano cassettes!

fossyant

A spacer is needed for 8/9 speed for mavic hubs - same with Ksyriums as well.

My Aksiums are currently running on a 7 speed bike - 2 x 3.0mm spacers first then the 7 speed block.

Let us know how you get on !

OP
OP
Y

yellow v2

Thanks mickle, I have a spacer for the 7/8 speed (3mm I think) but it is too thick, the last sprocket will not engage the splines, although I can get it on. Which is why I think I need one approx 1mm, I think I will take the wheel and cassette with me tomorrow!

yellow v2 said:
Thanks mickle, I have a spacer for the 7/8 speed (3mm I think) but it is too thick, the last sprocket will not engage the splines, although I can get it on. Which is why I think I need one approx 1mm, I think I will take the wheel and cassette with me tomorrow!

No, thank Fossy! Ive some spacers if you don't find one but I'm not back in the workshop till the 10th.

fossyant

If you don't get sorted, I think I have one in my spares box..... don't ever throw spacers, washers, bolts, nuts away - you never know.....

Top Bottom