New Cassette??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bugner

I urrently have a Compact with a 12-27, which just about does for me gettig up the hills. But I am a big bloke 16stone. So If I have loaded panniers on the back, i'm thinking I might struggle up steeper hills. Can I fit a MTB 11-32 rear cassete to give me the extra low gear??

TIA

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
depending on your rear derailler as to how many teeth it can cope with. But a new MTB rear derailler isn't expensive, varies on what speed you're running.

OP
OP
Bugner

Bugner

9 speed at the mo. So I should be able to just change the rear cassette and rear deralieur and not have to change anything else?

OP
OP
Bugner

Bugner

I have SRAM levers which I believe are not compatible with triple groupsets, so I don't want to have to change everything. Looking at sheldon Brown's gear ratio's, there would only be a few inches difference at the bottom end anyway. Also, I won't be Touring permanantly (not yet anyway) and by changing the rear cassette, I can then just change back when I am back on Audaxes without the load.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
No problem with changing the cassette, but it's not a given that your derailleur can handle a 32-tooth sprocket. It probably could, but maybe you should check. If not, you might need to change the rear derailleur too to a long-cage one.

If you do this, you needn't change it back when you switch back to your 12 - 27 - a long-cage derailleur will handle that just fine.

yashicamat

I have a triple with a 11-34T on the back of my LHT - in my opinion, this range is very useful when fully loaded in any location where there is a slight incline. I used the granny ring a few times on some of the Shropshire hills with camping kit on the back; I wouldn't have liked to have attempted that with a compact!

Top Bottom