New chain advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chris-s

Well, I think it's time I thought about replacing the chain on my Bianchi Nirone. It's done around 3200 miles always kept clean and lubed and whilst it is not slipping or jumping and otherwise appears to be performing faultlessly, the chain wear guage just slips thru the 0.75% arm. I won't be putting so many miles on it this autumn/winter just dry sunday club rides so it may get me thru till spring but I figure it's probably just as well to change it sooner rather than later.

From recollection, I _think_ it is a KMC X9 chain, probably the KMC X9-93 since I don't think it has the slots in the plates like the 'L' and 'SL' versions.

Left to my own devices I would replace it with the same chain, never had a problem with the original, are the other variants worthy upgrades?

Chris

gbb

Legendary Member
For me, the only reasons to change were if you were unhappy with the life of the chain...or you found something reputable, but cheaper (a good deal on any other chain)
Ive run 3 different chains on my 10 speed bianchi, all have had similar maintenance, no one chain has performed that much better than the other.
If you're happy with KMC, then i'd stick with it.

If you're chain is showing more than 0.75%, then a new chain may slip, if you're going to change it, do it sooner than later before things get worse. Some may say its time to change the cassette anyway. I'd suck it and see..

Top Bottom