New chain and cassette?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

albal

Guru
My chain is past .75% gone. It was new along with cassette (chainrings nearly new 3000mile on them) pre- EV6 ride early this summer. As I'm using it local I'll stick with it. It will last the crap winter, until my next tour in 2015, when new chain & cassette will be fitted. I 'd love to rotate chains every 600 mile or so, but I',m useless at remembering.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
When you get the chain wear tool check the chain - if over .75% change the chain. If the new chain slips on your old cassette, change the cassette. I don't change both as a matter of course, but when necessary. I find the cassette will outlast at least 2 chains if they are changed early enough.

joe schmoe

Replacing the chain and cassette at the same time gets my vote. Admittedly not the most cost effective approach but it's just simpler that way. I've misjudged it too many times before now and dropped a new chain on a cassette which I thought didn't need changing.

OP
OP
50000tears

50000tears

When you get the chain wear tool check the chain - if over .75% change the chain. If the new chain slips on your old cassette, change the cassette. I don't change both as a matter of course, but when necessary. I find the cassette will outlast at least 2 chains if they are changed early enough.

It is a KMC chain so I guess there is some hope but I expect after more than 4000 miles both will need changing.

Top Bottom